It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Space Ace timing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 am 
Registered  User

HI!

I've been trying to complete Space Ace for quite a while and the timing of Ace's shots sometimes just doesn't seem to work. It's probably just me sucking at the game, but in case someone else had noticed I thought maybe I'd post.

Once I know a scene, I rarely die in it (unless I just goof), but on several scenes where Ace/Dexter is supposed to shoot his gun, there's a decent chance I'll press the button at what I think is the right time (usually when something flashes) and die anyway. This happens most notably on the scenes where Dexter is flying in the Space Pak with the little alien ships where it keeps flashing back and forth between their cockpit and mine. The places where I'm supposed to shoot them (especially the first one) just doesn't seem to work all the time. You are supposed to shoot when your cockpit flashes like a "T" on them I'd assume. I've tried varying it a bit, but that just seems to make it worse.

I have tried mapping the "fire" button to other things in case it was my space bar, but MOST scenes where I'm supposed to shoot works just fine. Just certain ones are very problematic.

Is my timing just off? :) It makes it pretty darn hard, b/c rarely can I make it through to new scenes without a few deaths, so I get just a couple shots at trying something new.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

-Matthew

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:29 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

on the original roms, the shot timing is not consistent in the star pac. Try out Dave_H's SAE for *much* better timings.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:33 am 
Registered  User

Ahh...i was using SAE...I was thinking of trying the other one, but I liked that it had a setting that made it so I played through all the scenes as both dexter and ace.

The LDP Strobe timing doesn't change anything does it? I have no idea what that does :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: rom changer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:07 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Speaking of... Here is a little batch file I wrote to try out the different roms without going through the loader- a "quickstarter" if you will. What I did is put this in the Daphne folder and created a desktop shortcut to it. When it runs, it gives you an opportunity to choose your ROM or just hit enter to start with Enhanced ROM. If it doen't work you will have to check the paths. This is given for example purposes only.

rem acechooser.bat
rem This batch file allows you to choose from 4 different ROM's for Space Ace.
rem Windows NT/XP

@ECHO OFF
:GETCHOICE
ECHO 1) ROM A3 (ace)
ECHO 2) ROM Enhanced version 1 (sae)
ECHO 3) ROM A2 (ace_a2)
ECHO 4) ROM A (ace_a)
ECHO Which version of the game would you like to play?
SET Choice=2
SET /P Choice="Pick a number (1,2*,3,4 or q to quit)"

IF %Choice%==4 GOTO AROM
IF %Choice%==3 GOTO A2ROM
IF %Choice%==2 GOTO SAE
IF %Choice%==1 GOTO A3ROM
IF %Choice%==q GOTO END
IF %Choice%==Q GOTO END
GOTO GETCHOICE

# A3 rom
:A3ROM
ECHO Starting with A3 ROM
daphne.exe ace vldp -framefile framefile\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -bank 0 00000010 -bank 1 00000001 -nocrc -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480
GOTO GETCHOICE

# Enhanced rom v1.0
:SAE
ECHO Starting with Enhanced ROM
daphne.exe sae vldp -framefile framefile\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -bank 0 10011000 -bank 1 01100111 -nocrc -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480
GOTO GETCHOICE

# A2 rom
:A2ROM
ECHO Starting with A2 ROM
daphne.exe ace_a2 vldp -framefile framefile\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -bank 0 00000010 -bank 1 00000001 -nocrc -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480
GOTO GETCHOICE

# A rom
:AROM
ECHO Starting with A ROM
daphne.exe ace_a vldp -framefile framefile\SADVDROM\ace_dvdrom.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -bank 0 00000010 -bank 1 00000001 -nocrc -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480
GOTO GETCHOICE

:END

Offline Profile