It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Argh, got DL CD-ROMs instead of DVD-ROMs by mistake
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:37 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Fudge.

A word of caution so that others don't make the same goof I made.

Go to amazon.com

Type in "dragons' lair 20th" into the search box (no quotes): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... +lair+20th

The 1st 2 results are:

Dragon's Lair 20TH Anniversary Edition by Digital Leisure Inc. (DVD-ROM) (No Operating System)
Buy new: $29.99 $17.99 6 Used & new from $16.99

&

Dragon's Lair: 20th Anniversary Special Edition [BOX SET] (DVD - 2002)
6 Used & new from $40.00

Of course I chose the the $16.99 one instead of the $40.00 box set product: http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Lair-20TH ... 616&sr=8-1

Right under the picture are the specs:
Platform: No Operating System
Media: DVD-ROM
Item Quantity: 1

Seleft "add to your cart" & it's listed on the side of your screen as: "Dragon's Lair 20TH Anniversary Edition- Digital Leisure Inc. DVD-ROM"

However, I received the CD-ROM version instead of the DVD-ROM version from J&R Music & Computer World, one of the "used & new" vendors, which, interestingly, shows up in my "completed orders" screen as "1 of: Dragon's Lair 20TH Anniversary Edition [CD-ROM]
Sold by: J&R Music and Computer World (seller profile)"

Of course, I got excited & slit the sticker seal on the end of the box & popped in a disc & found that Daphne wouldn't run Dragon's Lair, since it requires a DVD, not a CD. So now I probably can't return this item.

Long story short, look out lest you accidentally buy a CD-ROM version.

So, to try to get this straight, was I looking @ the wrong product on Amazon or do you think J&R sold me the right product but shipped me the wrong one? Is the DVD set really $40 or is the $16 set supposed to be a DVD package?

Thanks,
-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I clicked the first link you gave in your post - and was presented with a 17.99 version of the DVD-ROM Boxset. But it's a lesson to double check your cart before finalizing. I would also point out to Amazon that the pictures for are deceptive. There is one pic of the CD-ROM box and all the rest are from the DVD box. Maybe something can be done in the realm of customer service - but you're probably stuck with them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:35 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, if I put the same item into my cart, it does say DVD-ROM right up until I check out.

During check out, it doesn't specify media in the item list.

It wasn't until I looked at my past order that it said CD-ROM...

grrr...

-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

You're not alone, Jason.

I've read on another forum that other people have had this exact problem with this exact company (J&R).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:18 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Thanks, Matt. I've got customer service mails in to both Amazon & J&R. Blah...I'll post results a they come in, in case it helps somebody in the future from being the same pickle.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Update:

I e-mailed J&R. They took a couple of days to get back to me & instructed me to call.

I called & spoke to a very helpful person who told me how to return the CD set, since they don't carry the DVD set.

They e-mailed me a UPS return label that I printed & taped to my package, so returning was easy.

I just got a notice from Amazon that I got a refund for the purchase price. I'm still out my original shipping cost, but I find that it's generally difficult to get shipping charges refunded when returning merchandise.

Anyway, lesson learned. J&R was fair in taking back the DL 20th Anniv CD set & refunding me. I'll inquire about getting my shipping charges returned too, as this was a purchase made based on a misleading ad, not an I-changed-my-mind return.

I found good deals at half.com on the DVD set. Just ordered one that's missing its box & manual for only $20!

Thanks,
-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:10 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Manual?

Regardless - A good find. They even had new ones on the cheap as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:09 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

The description said "used, no box, no manual"...I've just got the sinking feeling that it's CD-ROMs again & not DVDs! =O

:]

-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:59 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Aaaahhhh, closure...finally...

1 - J&R refunded my original shipping cost a few days after I called them to explain that I felt they should refund the shipping cost b/c it was their mistake, not mine, that prompted the return.

2 - The $15.99 used one I got from phife! at half.com was indeed another CD-ROM version misrepresented as the DVD version. Argh again. He refunded me my cost + all shipping charges & reposted it at half.com, but now w/ a note about it being the CD version: http://product.half.ebay.com/Dragons-La ... 4QQtgZinfo

3 - Ordered & promptly received my shrinkwrapped proper DVD version from volcanogames for only $29.99 from half.com! Finally! He seems to have more--sure beats the $50+ eBay auction prices I saw during my quest. http://product.half.ebay.com/Dragons-La ... 4QQtgZinfo

Updated the loader to 2.1.48, went to play DL & DL2 & SA--they work! :]

Thanks,
-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:22 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Awesome news! Enjoy!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:46 pm 
Registered  User

I made a similiar purchase, however that is not the dvd rom, that is the dvd video for 20th anniversary, i even contacted digitial leisure and inquire of the dvd rom for that package, they never made a dvd rom for it only for dvd video, how come dvd2daphne suports this when this does not have a dvd rom folder in there, i already tried to make the conversion, but did not do much good, for some unknown reason i was able to convert space ace but only partially, i mean if the conversion does not work for dvd2daph the only thing to get is the other dvd version which is for windows 98 or me if you have that os on your pc, but i doudt that would work on xp computer. So is dvd2daph able to conver the dvd version or just the dvdrom that is what i am not clear about so far.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:19 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

DVD2Daph was created to support other versions of Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace) other than the digital Leisure versions.

However...DVD2Daph is no longer needed to enjoy DL,DL2,SA or TQ in Daphne. Please check the Wiki and/or the FAQ - the link is on the main daphne webpage.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:08 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Layer wrote:
DVD2Daph was created to support other versions of Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace) other than the digital Leisure versions.

huh? Actually, dvd2daph was created to support *only* Digital Leisure versions.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:50 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

My mistake..I didn't realize that Digital leisure had put out CD-Roms so early...my bad ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Layer wrote:
My mistake..I didn't realize that Digital leisure had put out CD-Roms so early...my bad ;)

but dvd2daph doesn't support cd-roms.

I think you are confush.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:27 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

you are right again...shutting up ;)

This is what I get for posting before I actually wake up :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:47 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

dvd2daph was created to convert any Digital Leisure DVD (Rom or Video) to a format compatible with Daphne.

However, it is now outdated and unnecessary, as the Daphne 1.0 beta will "convert" the video for you. Daphne will auto-download everything you need. Just insert your Digital Leisure DVD when prompted.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:35 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Thanks, this thread helped a ton in my search to buy the correct DVD. Just ordered a copy from VolcanoGames... sitting on edge to receive it and play.

Just to share, I remember going to Putt Putt Golf and Games in Rochester, NY and watching the older kids play this game (there were 2 monitors, one on top so everyone could watch the player play) and would dabble on occasion, plop 50 cents in and last about 2 mins :)

Thanks again, and expect a donation from me in the near future, cheers!

Volcano Games: http://product.half.ebay.com/Dragons-La ... 4QQtgZinfo ($19.99)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

I think the safest bet when trying to acquire the 20th anniversy DVD set is do what i did, go straight to Digital Leisures web site and buy them straight from there. I managed to get them for $29.95 and even snagged a copy of Time Traveler at a discounted price. I love Amazon and all other similair sites, but for those who are impatint like myself and dont like the run-a-round in finding what you need. GO STRAIGHT TO THE SOURCEif possible 8)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Yep, or just ask the vendor before purchasing if it's indeed the DVD version. My order from Volcano Game arrived today, I feel like a 9 year old again :) The $$$ i saved buying from a different vendor will go towards a nice donation to the Daphne developers, thanks and great job.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Dragon's Lair CD vs. DVD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Hello,

I also got the CD by mistake thinking it was a DVD. Is it true that the CD is useless with Daphne?

What is the difference in gameplay?

Thanks,

Kenaan

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

i have ordered the 20th anniversary audio dvds, but was hoping someone can answer my questions about the difference in gameplay (Windows CD-ROM and no Daphne vs. audio DVDs with Daphne).

Offline Profile