It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:23 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

I would be interested to know the ratio of original hardware/software users to Virtual LD player/M2V users. I suppose there should be a category for those who have the fully functioning DL/DL2/SA original arcade machine too (complete and working or renovation project)
please reply...
TIA.
regards,
GaRy:o)

ps I'v got the M2V-VLDP set-up, s'very nice
pps 'DEFENDER LAIR' anyone? www.erikthecat.btinternet.co.uk/arcade/
-----------------
Build yourself an arcade style cabinet today!
www.erikthecat.btinternet.co.uk/arcade/
you will not regret it :o))

Last edited by erikthecat on Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:54 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I have a Sony LDP-1500 and a DL LD, but Space Ace on DVD and was looking to either get a Space Ace LD or a DVD (not DVD-ROM) conversion. I'm also going the route of a real, not emulated, scoreboard, but since I haven't seen one for sale, I'm building one from scratch.

So put me down for one LD, one MPEG.

-ethan

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:51 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I use the LDs for non-overlay games, mpg/ogg for overlay games. Still looking for a thayer's LD, though. =(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 10:38 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I originally used the LD player to run Space Ace and Dragon's Lair. However, for the sake of convenience, I am now using the MPEGs for both games. I am still set up to use the laserdisc games, but I don't use the laserdiscs anymore (instead, they've been put away in a safe place).

-etumor

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 7:06 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I usually only use the discs these days for mpeg capturing. For playing the games I usually use mpeg :smile:

It's so much more convenient :smile:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 8:34 pm 
Registered  User

uses the dvd2daph and thinks this will really catch on.

Once again thanks those for making this possible being that the dvd-roms will not work on xp. :smile:

and since digital leisure is not having any luck obtaining rights for Cliff Hanger could someone serve the rip. lol

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:32 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

I have to admit, I think I've become something of a "laserdisc snob."

I hope this isn't a bad thing! :smile:

I don't think I'll ever use the .mpg or DVD versions. I feel that using the original discs preserves the true arcade experience (short of owning an original cabinet with all original hardware).

Maybe if my laserdiscs start deteriorating, I'll switch.

Now if I could only find/afford Thayer's Quest and Cliff Hanger LD's, I'd be all set! :smile:

Joe
(jparisi@adelphia.net)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:47 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Joe,

<quote>Now if I could only find/afford Thayer's Quest and Cliff Hanger LD's, I'd be all set!<unqoute>

Not forgetting Badlands/goal to go/Esh's arunmilla/super don............. :wink:

RCade

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:30 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Don't forget that Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest are the only games that can be played "properly" with the disc. The rest of them require mpeg in order to have the computer video overlaid on top of the laserdisc video.

And I know what you're thinking. "Why not add support for a tv-in card that would let you have the video overlay on top of the laserdisc video?" My answer is that laserdiscs are rotting and will eventually not exist anymore. Plus they are hard to get and a lot of ebay sellers exploit buyers for outrageous sums of money.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 3:41 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I originaly had a complete working SDQ but due to player failure now (try to) use the MPG.
I would use DL and SA on LD but am having probs with my players so its MPG for them too, however I havent got that to work either at the moment! (Performance issues)
So its 0 for LD and 0 for MPG from me! doh.

I agree about the cost of the LDs though. Some of them are pretty poor quality as well.
Although, even if the disc doesnt play its nice to say, " I OWN an original Dragons Lair", so yes, laserdisc snobbery is afoot.

Praise be to the almighty developers of Daphne for giving us all this wonderfull tool so that we may again play the holy games of yesteryear :smile:
(Now just improve the Mpeg Performance please) lol.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:58 am 
Registered  User

I have two Sony LDP-1450 players, and both the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace laserdiscs.

I am lucky to have an old Amiga monitor (for my old A1200HD) right next to my PC, which takes composite input from the laserdisc player. So it's not too inconvenient to keep using the laserdiscs.

I haven't looked into playing them with MPEG, since I don't have a way to capture the video from laserdisc, and don't own any of the DVDs.

- James

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:40 pm 
Registered  User

I have an LDV-1000 player and both the Space Ace and Dragon's Lair original discs. I also have an Amiga 1084s monitor that I use sometimes when I'm playing them but that's only when I'm using the actual hardware with no emulation! To save life on my LDV-1000 player since I'm afraid it's going to break one day I use Mpegs along with the daphne emulator to play them most of the time! Don't want to burn up the player unless necessary! Thanks Daphne-EMU! You're my only hope!

Offline Profile