It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Skipping the self-test intro
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:10 am 
Registered  User

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to skip the self-tests at the beginning of some of the games like Dragons lair, space ace etc?
I have Daphne built into my Jukebox and when you select to play one of the games you are presented with a black screen for about 15-20 seconds, then a beep then the speeded up test cards and insert coin pages and a small test run before the game actually starts.

It would be nice to skip this and jump straight to the game. Could this be a possible option to add to Daphne?

Great work on Version 1 Matt

regards
Craig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:36 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Fast boot :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:50 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks Borf but ive already looked for an option in the config similar to that you mention. I couldnt find anything like it at all. Care to elaborate where that option is please? and is there a command line parameter to run a game with fastboot?

Cheers
Craig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:28 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Fast Boot is located under the main GAME/LASERDISC tab when you select to configure a game in DaphneLoader. Not all games support Fast Boot. IIRC only Dragon's Lair and Space Ace support it.

You can add it to the commandline with -fastboot

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:11 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Layer, thanks for the reply. I thought all games supported it which is why i couldnt find it for Dragons Lair. Strangely you say you think Dragons Lair DOES support fast boot but it doesnt appear in the options for the Dragons Lair i have, only for Space Ace. Im still waiting for the 20th anniversary discs to arrive from the US so maybe it will appear when i use those??
If not, why am i not seeing the Fast Boot options for DL like you mention (typical this is the game i really need to fast boot!).

regards
Craig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

What rom revision do you have Dragon's Lair configured for? I think only certain rom revisions support FastBoot - such as F2.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:20 pm 
Registered  User

Ive added the -fastboot to both Dragons Lair and Space ace command line arguments but i get an error in the Daphe_log.txt file as the following:

--DAPHNE version 0.99.6
--Command line is: h:\daphne\daphne.exe ace vldp -fastboot -framefile h:\daphne\framefile\spaceace_original_framefile.txt -fullscreen
--CPU : AuthenticAMD 3000 MHz || Mem : 2048 megs
LDV1000 : Instantaneous seeking enabled!
Unknown command line parameter:
-fastboot

The above log is for Space ace but i get the same for dragons lair.......am i missing something? Thanks for any help

regards
Craig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:23 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

The best bet is to use Daphne 1.0 (still looks like your using an old version). I assumed you were using 1.0 as you made mention of it in the original post.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:33 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Layer, Im using both to some comparisons with. I think im getting there with the problem, i wasnt choosing the correct rom version so only certain roms have fastboot with DL (1.1 does) (2.1 Doesnt).
The bootlog i posted was from the earlier 99.6 version. fastboot still doesnt appear with version 1 so looks like ill just have to make do with what i can get working. Its the most amazing piece of software as i played this for about a year and have been a fan of the game for the last 25 years. Superb.

thanks for the hints and tips and pointing me in the right direction.

regards
Craig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:46 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

This "self test" explains what I was saying about the fast/choppy DL1 startup. Now I understand but wish someone had pointed this out earlier!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:58 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

kenaan wrote:
Now I understand but wish someone had pointed this out earlier!

I don't think anyone had any clue what you were talking about, so we couldn't have pointed it out if we wanted to. :cry:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:42 am 
Registered  User

Hi Keenan, Most arcade games have a 'warm-up' ,'self-test' period when the power is first applied to the machine. A lot of arcade games go thru rom and ram memory checks before the game starts and as such some screenshots and sounds may eminate from the machine until the diagnostics are complete and successful. The game will then start normally. This applies to any arcade games from the 80's right up til today.

i think when you said 'choppy' startup it sounded like a faulty graphics card so no-one could help as what you were experiencing was completely normal.

Offline Profile