It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox Daphne in development
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:06 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hi everyone,
just wanted to share some news.

Daphne XBOX is under development and close to being ready for prime time.

Current Status:

1) Roms can be played with the scoreboard display.
2) The MPEG2 video playback is now working.
3) Pad input is functional
4) Audio is being implemented right now.

To Do:

1) Finish audio streaming
2) Game Overlays
3) Front end menu system

NOTE:

This is *NOT* a commercial product, and requires a modded Xbox capable of playing unsigned homebrew executables. Binaries or ISO's cannot be distributed due to the usage of Microsoft XDK libraries. If you have a modded Xbox, then you know how this all works. Please don't ask me for binaries or where to find them.. If you want to find out more information about XBox mods, please go to http://www.xbox-scene.com

I will post some screenshots soon.

Enjoy!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:41 pm 
Registered  User

looks like maybe mamefans will finally have a legitimate use

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:27 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

very great news

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xbox Daphne in development - Latest News
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:38 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hey Guys,
I finished up the streaming audio on Friday and you can now play Dragon's Lair and Space Ace perfectly. They look awesome on 480P Progressive on a 50inch and playing DD sound. I added a score/lives overlay option which works great. I just need to finish up the CGI overlay stuff now for the other games that need them. Front end still to be implemented also.

I imagine a first release should be posted within the next 2 weeks.

L8z....

PS. I will be setting up an email account for bug reports/feature suggestions. This will be in a readme that will come with the release.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:36 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Also, there's been some huge news on the X-Box scene the past couple of days. You no longer need a modchip to boot Xbox-linux:

http://www.xboxhacker.net/forums/index. ... 12&t=10520

This could be great news for anyone without a modchip, but will probably be a while before there's an easy setup for the masses.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xbox updates
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:19 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Yeah I read that too. It seems way too convoluted for most people to use seriously. You might as well just pay $50 for the modchip which are extremely easy to install. Besides you need an original game also to do that hack, so save the $50 you'd spend on the game and get the modchip.

I love seeing new hacks, but like you said, not really good enough for prime time. Interesting to see how it progresses.

L8z

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:35 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

I agree, the modchip is easier, but I brought it up for a few reasons...

First, a lot of people aren't willing to open up their X-box's. Perfectly understandable if you aren't tech savvy. Second, installing a modchip voids your warranty. Third, a modchip will get your machine permenantly banned from the X-box Live network.

That's a lot to consider. For those who might be a bit weary about the prospect, there may be an alternative modchipless solution if you're willing to wait a little while. My earlier post is evidence to that fact. I just don't want to see any daphne users breaking their X-boxes. :(

As an aside to everyone reading this, I *certainly* don't want this forum turning into a place for modchip installation discussion. If you choose to install a modchip, take your installation questions elsewhere. If you have a modchip already installed and/or understand fully what you're getting yourself into, then by all means go for it. I'm *personally* not knocking modchips.

However, technically M$ considers modchips to be "illegal". Therefore, in the interest of the daphne project, any future discussion regarding daphne on the X-box should begin at the point where you already have a boot solution in place. We will assume that if you are running linux on an X-box that you are doing so by a legal means. If you acknowledge that you are doing so by an "illegal" means, I'll have to delete your post. Please keep this in mind and realize that it's necessary for the safety of daphne's future. Thanks.

For instance, I have legal access to an X-box development kit, which is how I'll be playing it. It basically works the same as an X-box, but it will run unsigned code. Until a modchipless (legal) boot solution is available, I'm sure everyone else who will be using daphne on the X-box also has legal access to a dev kit. ;)

I'm really excited and anxious to see this in action! Great work Kubik!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Daphne Xbox
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:37 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

All good points Chip. I agree with you completely. I don't expect anyone to come to me for information on how to get it working. If you have the means and know how to use it then you won't have any problems. I will only reply to questions related to Daphne, nothing more.

L8z

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:46 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

chip wrote:
For instance, I have legal access to an X-box development kit, which is how I'll be playing it. It basically works the same as an X-box, but it will run unsigned code. Until a modchipless (legal) boot solution is available, I'm sure everyone else who will be using daphne on the X-box also has legal access to a dev kit. ;)

Hehe... I might need to make this sticky somewhere where people are likely to see it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xbox Daphne - Latest News
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:34 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hey guys,
I have a front-end up and running. Its not finished yet, but last night I got the game specific options for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace hooked up, including dip switches. I'm hoping by the weekend, those 2 games should be 100%. A first version may be posted early next week while I continue to work on the other laser games.

I'll keep you posted...

l8z.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xbox Daphne - Latest News
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 am 
Registered  User

Hey, Kubik.

your work looks very promising. I set up daphne on my xbox, but was having problems with the video. Is there a specific resolution needed for the m2v files to play correctly (I'm using the files converted from my dvd, which work perfectly on my cpu) ? I can tell that it 's playing the startup sequence for DL ver. F2, but the video is garbled and just loops on the initial screens, pauses for 20 sec of blackness and restarts the garbled loop again. It is still giving me the proper startup beeps though. Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:20 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Yeah couple things:

1) Video for dragons lair must be 640x480
2) I dont support multiple mpeg files yet.. just 1 mpeg.. its an issue of not having PC fileio, so the parser doesnt work and I havent had the desire to really write a complete parser yet..

If enough people want this, then I will try and get to it sooner.

-Kubik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:18 am 
Registered  User

Dear KubiK,
thanx for your works!!!!!!

i tried to install your dahpne to my xbox with dragon's lair but i don't understand exactly what you mean in the read me.txt

i copied rom set in your rom/lair folder
also copied all mpeg2,ogg,vob in mpeg/lair
and copied dl-framelist.txt in framelist folder
i changed first line with the patch:./mpeg/lair/

i lanched Dahpne,but when i chose dragon's lair nothing happen!!!!

what it's wronged???

Please help me!

Davide

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xbox Daphne
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:18 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Make sure your framefile is called lair.txt

The PC allowed you to choose a file, since I dont have that capability, you must use the following names for framefiles..

Dragon's Lair = lair.txt
Space Ace = ace.txt
Astron Belt = astron.txt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:36 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Kubik, great work you did on the port.

Since i only have the dvd-rips of DL and SA, i can only test Astron Belt. Very sad. The game plays fine so far, but its not playable for me with the D-pad. Is it possible to use the stick in a later (maybe the next) version ?

Jerico

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:08 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I saw you released version 0.20.
Hey you did it, let me test DL and SA now.

UPDATE: I've tested DL and SA dvd-rips now, deinterlaced at 640x480. Fantastic work. It plays perfectly and the quality is great. Can't wait to play Esh on my Xbox.

Jerico

Offline Profile  

Post subject: DaphneX
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:00 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Hey guys,
thanks for the kind words. Im glad its working for most people now. There are a couple issues I am trying to resolve which to seem to affect a very small number of people including myself. If I try to run from Xecuter Bios, tried to 2 different versions, either from Evox or FTP. My joypad code is causing a lockup. However it runs perfectly on Debug Bios and it seems other people's xbox's. Even when they use the same BIOS as me. I am really not sure what is going on here, so if any of you have seen this, please email me and give me as much data as possible.

email to xbox_daphne@yahoo.com

Cheers,
Kubik

PS. There is a major update coming this week hopefully. I already have the menu/game/menu stuff working now so you dont have to restart Daphne to try another game. I'm also adding some other games. Enjoy!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DaphneX
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:30 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Kubik wrote:
If I try to run from Xecuter Bios, tried to 2 different versions, either from Evox or FTP.

Hmm... talk of bios' on this board is definitely borderline. I won't delete this post for now, but please be mindful of this stuff. There are other forums where mods and such can be discussed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:12 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Latest News:

Cliff Hanger is now running. I have some issues with the dips that I need to clear up, other than that its done. Looks awesome and plays awesome!!

Galaxy Ranger and Cobra Command have also been added, but so far untested.

Hoping to get remaining games in for next release.. Thayers will probably be added also, but inputs will not work since there is usually no keyboard.. something to ponder later.

V0.50 should be out in a few days hopefully. I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers,
Kubik

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:09 pm 
Registered  User

Re: Keyboard.
Devkits come with a controller port -> USB connector and it's pretty easy to make one. For the non-technical, Microsoft is apparently going to sell them on their website starting April 15th to coincide with the release of Phantasy Star Online. Why anyone would want to type "I need a healing potion" rather than just yell it over the headset, I'll never know, but it does mean everyone will soon have access to a keyboard adapter. Now to get Zork ported to the XBox... :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:14 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Perfect timing.. guess I'll have something to do for the release after this one then :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: thayers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:37 am 
Registered  User

can't find laser disc player when i attempt to run it
any ideas?.
maybe my settings are wrong? in the menu (xbox) its set to mpeg playback, i would love any set up info please..
thanks
CRunCH2000

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xbox Daphne in development
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:08 pm 
Registered  User

Hi

I use this emulator about many years, and i love it :D
But Kubik never really finish it ...

Is some one know where we can find the source code to upgrade it please ?
Maybe an other ADMIN here have it ?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 pm 
Registered  User

This is really a great news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

LOL! Talk about trolling. This is info from over 4 years ago on an old, outdated console.

Offline Profile