It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DL: question about scene sequence
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:37 pm 
Registered  User

I am using daphne not with the laserdisc but with the mpeg files. Replaying this classic games at brought tears to my eyes ;)

But it seems that their is a little something wrong with the game. If remember correctly at the arcade when I didnt succeed scene (example:
knight on horse) Dirk died and I replay the same scene (knight on horse) until I succeed it. But with Daphne if I failed with the "knight on horse" and I dont replay this scene, but another one (example the Rapids). So my question is I am wrong or its normal to play another scene after failing one?

Thanks for answering

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:51 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

This question gets asked a lot. Daphne is just an emulator, so the game behavior is based on the roms that you are running. Daphne makes use of the F2 revision of the Dragon's Lair roms (these were the latest US release).

At least with the US release of the game, when you died, you moved onto the next scene, but the game remembered which scenes you hadn't completed. When you reached the Dragon's Lair, any scenes that you hadn't completed would be re-played before you would be allowed to play the Dragon's Lair. If you died on one of the replays, then the scene would play again immediately until you passed it. Once you had completed all of the scenes, then you would move on to the Dragon's Lair.

The exception to this pattern was the nine-level falling platforms. If you died on one of those scenes, it would play again until you got through it.

For further details, take a look at The DLP's Scene Sequencing Page.

Non-US releases of the game may have worked differently.

Space Ace was different. When you played Space Ace on any skill level above Cadet, you had to repeat any given scene until you got through it without dying (on Cadet, if you died, you would continue the same scene from shortly after the point when you died).

-etumor

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DL: question about scene sequence
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:13 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

pretextat wrote:
I am using daphne not with the laserdisc but with the mpeg files. Replaying this classic games at brought tears to my eyes ;)

But it seems that their is a little something wrong with the game. If remember correctly at the arcade when I didnt succeed scene (example:
knight on horse) Dirk died and I replay the same scene (knight on horse) until I succeed it. But with Daphne if I failed with the "knight on horse" and I dont replay this scene, but another one (example the Rapids). So my question is I am wrong or its normal to play another scene after failing one?

Thanks for answering

Hi there! I addressed this question in the FAQ.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:11 pm 
Registered  User

Well thank you both for answering.

Of course I have checked the FAQ before asking the question. I asked because and didnt have an answer that satisfy, mainly because yesterday I was unable to reach the Dave Hallock website.

Everything is fine now, thank you.

Offline Profile