It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon's Lair strange sound coming of game speakers on start
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:59 pm 
Registered  User

I received Dexter a couple of weeks ago and have been busy, but finally got around to installing it yesterday.

I think I was an early order and also told you about Shaun Wood's Merlin project back in the day...

Good news is that it worked right out of the game (granted, I only tested it for a couple of minutes, but it emulated the LD-V1000 no problem).

Background:

Installed into standard machine (no Merlin board, had reverted back to original ROMs) with original LD-V1000 (bought a new one off ebay awhile back) - so original, standard DL machine.

I bought Dexter w/DL, SA, and Thayer's Quest images.

Questions:

1. When I powered up DL it made a rising pitch (do-do-do-do) sound out of game speakers. Clearly generated by GI sound chip. Sounded like a board error message (altering me). Never heard it before. It went away after sounding for a bit and machine booted up and worked. But this worried/worries me? Insights into what error it is flagging and whether this is normal would be appreciated.

2. I own a Merlin 8000 board and saw you a video on your FB page showing DL and SA running from same cabinet. I own both (as well as Thayer's Quest) and would like to do instant switching without having to go through Dexter Manager to manually do so. Do I just need to get a ROM update from Shaun for Merlin or is there more to it than that?

3. Is the DL image the one from the remanufactured disc with the added scenes? I also own that disc as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dragon's Lair strange sound coming of game speakers on s
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:01 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Crocodilian wrote:
1. When I powered up DL it made a rising pitch (do-do-do-do) sound out of game speakers. Clearly generated by GI sound chip. Sounded like a board error message (altering me). Never heard it before. It went away after sounding for a bit and machine booted up and worked. But this worried/worries me? Insights into what error it is flagging and whether this is normal would be appreciated.

Does it sound like a loud buzzing? I am getting that on my cab too with Dexter. It buzzes after the first beep but goes away after the second beep. I think it's harmless. I don't yet know what causes it.

Quote:
2. I own a Merlin 8000 board and saw you a video on your FB page showing DL and SA running from same cabinet. I own both (as well as Thayer's Quest) and would like to do instant switching without having to go through Dexter Manager to manually do so. Do I just need to get a ROM update from Shaun for Merlin or is there more to it than that?

Unfortunately, this feature isn't yet available to the public. It will require a Merlin and Dexter update when it's finished.

Quote:
3. Is the DL image the one from the remanufactured disc with the added scenes? I also own that disc as well.

yes, it is the 2002 limited edition disc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:42 pm 
Registered  User

No, the sound is not a buzzing.

It is generated by the motherboard as it happens without audio Jack's plugged into Merlin.

It is a tonal - tones of ascending pitches - repeated multiple times.

The LED score panel does seem to work properly - counting down.

The standard beeps also work.

I'm wondering what the error tone is caused by and if it signifies a larger issue that needs correcting?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm 
Registered  User

What you describe sounds like the diagnostics test for the sound chip.
But if you're using Merlin as your ROM board, that code has been removed, unless you actually have a LaserCon MultiROM board.
You should check the label on the EPROM.

If you do have a Merlin, and it can't be diagnostics, then the sound may be due to a failing GI Sound chip.

I recommend that you remove and re-set your sound chip (U19), and then toggle all of your dip-switches. A7, which controls diagnostics may not be making good contact.

If it is an issue with the ROM, just wait until Merlin-Dx is ready. You will be getting a new ROM when we do the upgrade.
Be sure to remind me of this issue when you order the Dx upgrade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:20 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks, Shaun.

I bet you are right on the dip switches as mine are a bit loose.

When I get some time, I will try that before unseating the GI chip - and let you both know.

Thanks

Offline Profile