To heat sink or not to heat sink?

Bumblebrow
Registered  User

To heat sink or not to heat sink?

Post by Bumblebrow »

I was just wondering if it is recommended to heat sink the Raspberry PI board? If this configuration is going to replace the LD player and run continuously, would be be advantageous to install heat sinks on the two main chips?
Warren Ondras
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Re: To heat sink or not to heat sink?

Post by Warren Ondras »

My understanding is that in general, unless you are overclocking, heat sinks for the Pi are not necessary. Dexter doesn't use overclocking, and the CPU utilization is not maxed out, so the CPU isn't working particularly hard.

Even with the slightly elevated temperature in an arcade game cabinet, I wouldn't expect heat to be a problem.
shenlung
Registered  User

Post by shenlung »

I put a small adhesive heatsink on Pi CPU. I noticed when running the ALG multigame I built in our wherehouse when it was very hot and no AC, the video started glitching and slowing down. The Pi throttles clock speed if it gets hot I think. You can get small adhesive square heatsink at Mouser.
Matt Ownby
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Post by Matt Ownby »

shenlung wrote:I put a small adhesive heatsink on Pi CPU. I noticed when running the ALG multigame I built in our wherehouse when it was very hot and no AC, the video started glitching and slowing down. The Pi throttles clock speed if it gets hot I think. You can get small adhesive square heatsink at Mouser.
awesome tip! thanks for sharing!
Check out my cool projects!
Matt Ownby
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Post by Matt Ownby »

shenlung wrote:I put a small adhesive heatsink on Pi CPU. I noticed when running the ALG multigame I built in our wherehouse when it was very hot and no AC, the video started glitching and slowing down. The Pi throttles clock speed if it gets hot I think. You can get small adhesive square heatsink at Mouser.
This issue may have come up again. Do you have a link to the Mouser part that you used successfully?
Check out my cool projects!
Karenecown
Registered  User

To heat sink or not to heat sink

Post by Karenecown »

Was going to run a couple of laptop benches with a 2670QM

cant find it on the bot ........ anybody know whats up ?

And how to get it added if indeed it is not there ?