It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffer overflow - trouble setting up Dexter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
Registered  User

I have finally gotten around to installing Dexter in my Space Ace and am having some trouble. I downloaded the Dexter Manager and updated the files. When I initially started it up after putting the USB thumb drive back, I got the progress bar update screen, then a message that said something like, "Buffer Overflow Detected, FSCK.VFAT cancelled." And now when I turn it on it loads up colorbars and then just sits there. It won't go into the game.

Here are my best guesses as to what could be contributing the the issue:
  • Some file is corrupt on the USB drive or the drive itself is corrupt.
    *Can I just copy the files to a different drive and try?
  • The dip switches are set up incorrectly
    *are there specific settings necessary to work with Dexter?
  • Bad ribbon cable
  • Is there a test mode that I have somehow accidentally turned on?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Buffer overflow - trouble setting up Dexter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

most likely that message that you saw was a "red herring".

We can't know what problems your game might have since we are not omnipotent. However, we can discover whether the game is properly communicating with Dexter, which is a good starting point.

Check out the videos I posted here: https://www.daphne-emu.com:9443/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3031, especially the "Basic Troubleshooting" and "Intermediate Troubleshooting". The second video also shows how I can help with the troubleshooting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:37 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks for the reply. I had already watched your troubleshooting videos. My problem is nothing that was covered in the basic troubleshooting. Maybe I'm just confused, but there didn't actually seem to be any troubleshooting in the intermediate troubleshooting video. It was just explaining that troubleshooting *could* be done if the Dexter was hooked up to a network. Unfortunately, my cabinet is in storage in a space with no internet, so that didn't do me any good. At some point I may well haul my game out of storage and bring it somewhere that I can hook it all up to an internet connection. But I figured the first easy step would be to offer up my symptoms and see if they resembled any known issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

falsenorth wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I had already watched your troubleshooting videos. My problem is nothing that was covered in the basic troubleshooting. Maybe I'm just confused, but there didn't actually seem to be any troubleshooting in the intermediate troubleshooting video. It was just explaining that troubleshooting *could* be done if the Dexter was hooked up to a network. Unfortunately, my cabinet is in storage in a space with no internet, so that didn't do me any good. At some point I may well haul my game out of storage and bring it somewhere that I can hook it all up to an internet connection. But I figured the first easy step would be to offer up my symptoms and see if they resembled any known issues.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, a rainbow screen isn't something that sounds familiar to me.

Troubleshooting via the network connection may be a pain to setup, but it is extremely effective. You can tell whether the game is sending anything to the Dexter, and that will help answer questions about dip switches, ROMs, ribbon cables, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:44 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I should add that I am very eager for you to be successful getting your game up and running. Every Dragon's Lair or Space Ace brought back from the dead is a win for all of us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks. I think I might have it figured out. I was thrown off a little bit by Space Ace's dip switch numbering (0-7 = 1-8) and accidentally had some diagnostic or test mode on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

falsenorth wrote:
Thanks. I think I might have it figured out. I was thrown off a little bit by Space Ace's dip switch numbering (0-7 = 1-8) and accidentally had some diagnostic or test mode on.

Ah yeah. That is indeed confusing. Glad you got that part sorted. Let us know if you have other issues.

Offline Profile