It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thayers Quest playing start to end on bootup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:45 am 
Registered  User

Having an issue with Thayers Quest playing the disc image from start to end without any ability to input controls. Just comes on plays all the animations including every death scene and then goes black unitl you reboot it, and then it does same thing again.

I had my tech install this board, but now I am going to have to troubleshoot to find the cause. If anyone has run into this issue and might have a fix for it, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I will begin to troubleshoot and report back whatever I find.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thayers Quest playing start to end on bootup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 pm 
Registered  User

Sinistar wrote:
Having an issue with Thayers Quest playing the disc image from start to end without any ability to input controls. Just comes on plays all the animations including every death scene and then goes black unitl you reboot it, and then it does same thing again.

I had my tech install this board, but now I am going to have to troubleshoot to find the cause. If anyone has run into this issue and might have a fix for it, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I will begin to troubleshoot and report back whatever I find.

So I'm no expert but I do have T Q running with Dexter. I would check the dip switches to make sure you are running either PR 7820 player mode or L D 1000 mode. Then check Dexter and make sure the proper player mode is selected via the led lights on the Dexter. Good luck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 am 
Registered  User

Checked unit tonight, all set at LDV1000. Still does same thing. Comes on plays laserdisc start to end. stops.

Time to pull the unit I guess. See what I can see on PC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:23 pm 
Registered  User

TQ should speak "Disc spinning up, please wait" and the "play" command is sent to Dexter. If the Dexter unit is set to something OTHER than LD-V1000 (not 'Badlands'), change it to match. Some of the player emulations will play the image on startup - even when not connected to a game board.

I need to find my TQ keyboard before I can try it with Dexter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Sinistar wrote:

Put Dexter in 'diagnose' mode and capture what commands the game board is sending to Dexter. Youtube video showing how to do this is here:

If there was no activity at all, the disc wouldn't be playing. So it sounds like the Play command is being sent, but then nothing after that. This could indicate a ROM problem. Capturing the I/O via the above youtube video would help isolate the problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:10 pm 
Registered  User

blam1 wrote:
TQ should speak "Disc spinning up, please wait" and the "play" command is sent to Dexter. If the Dexter unit is set to something OTHER than LD-V1000 (not 'Badlands'), change it to match. Some of the player emulations will play the image on startup - even when not connected to a game board.

I need to find my TQ keyboard before I can try it with Dexter.

Finally found my TQ keyboard and verified the operation above with Dexter. If you disconnect the player cable from your TQ board and Dexter still plays the disc from beginning to end, then Dexter isn't configured for the right player.

Offline Profile