It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New USB drive for Dexter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:13 pm 
Registered  User

Hi all,

I work in an arcade where we have a Dragon's Lair machine running a Daphne board. The USB drive currently plugged into the board appears to have given up the ghost (can't even read from it using dd in Linux). I tried formatting a new USB drive as FAT32 in Windows and plugging it in with Dexter Manager running but the software didn't pick it up as a Dexter drive.

Could anyone provide a disc image of a working Dexter USB that I could write to a new thumb drive to get this device back up and running?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New USB drive for Dexter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:26 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

luther7718 wrote:
Hi all,

I work in an arcade where we have a Dragon's Lair machine running a Daphne board. The USB drive currently plugged into the board appears to have given up the ghost (can't even read from it using dd in Linux). I tried formatting a new USB drive as FAT32 in Windows and plugging it in with Dexter Manager running but the software didn't pick it up as a Dexter drive.

Could anyone provide a disc image of a working Dexter USB that I could write to a new thumb drive to get this device back up and running?

Hi, sorry for the trouble.

To get Dexter Manager to recognize any drive, you just need to add two folders to the root: "dexter" and "disc". Dexter Manager will offer to 'update' the drive at this point, and if you accept said offer (by clicking on the update button), it will populate the 'dexter' folder with the latest files. The 'disc' folder is where your .ldimg files go. Since you sound a little linux savvy, you can find these files on your microSD card (it's one of the partitions, I believe it's ext3 format). Otherwise, I can help you get back up and running using this method: http://www.laserdisc-replacement.com/help/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New USB drive for Dexter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:37 pm 
Registered  User

That did the trick, thank you!

Offline Profile