It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Using my MAME cabinet to play Daphne - buttons don't work
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:58 am 
Registered  User

I have installed the latest Daphne and am trying to play Cobra Command. The game seems to load and play fine except the only fire buttons that work is the keyboard. The joystick on the console controls the crosshair fine but none of the buttons work. I have not made any changes to the default button assignments. Can anyone suggest what I should do to get the buttons to work correctly. Thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Have you tried this?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:01 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

This may help :D

DAPHNE WIKI documentation concerning Keyboard Controls and customization

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:50 am 
Registered  User

I have had the same issue, even AFTER I map the needed buttons into Daphne 2.2.0.

Seems the Input screen shows my changes, including removing '5' as the coin up for player 1, etc. Oddly the 'coin up 1' which is my cab's button 23 just does not work in game.

The Config screens for each game are showing the buttons mapped correctly, but still the DaphneLoader seems to reset to default keys only when the games begin.

Windows XP:H, Daphne v1.0-2.2.0

Any clues folks???

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:24 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Are you using DaphneLoader to launch Daphne?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:35 am 
Registered  User

DaphneLoader & Daphne(command line)

Both fail to make the correct updates even though the configurations say the keys are set correctly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:33 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I just tested remapping keys using DaphneLoader and it worked fine for me. I don't know what to tell you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:41 pm 
Registered  User

possible bug then?

should we remove Daphne and reinstall, etc??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:31 pm 
Registered  User

So nothing? No advice from anyone as to the possible steps to take to test the issue?

Using a GP-WizRX controller board and I find that the 'Credit: 5, P1 Start: 6' keys are still working as my Joystick button 5 & 6, Joystick itself works, but thats it.

None of the other buttons on the CP will function as the Pause, ESC, ect.

So the buttons are mapping, just not as I have input them. They are defaulting to the basic Daphne setup, only without the ever important End Game button.

Not easy to run this in a MAME cabinet if you have to use the keyboard every time you want Daphne up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 am 
Registered  User

I'm having the exact same problem, and I just posted a new topic about it. Did you ever get it working?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 am 
Registered  User

Nope. Still has the exact issue I noted above.

All I want is the damnable Esc key to be mapped to one of my control panel buttons.

Tis not working as such right now. It still looks for the keyboard.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:11 pm 
Registered  User

Hopefully somebody will come along and help us out. Here's what I posted in the other topic...
--------
I have Daphne up and running on my PC, I installed the latest version. I started up DaphneLoader so I could remap the buttons and change a few things. I know it took the changes ok, because when I exit and restart DaphneLoader, all of my changes definitely show up in the options. And the config file also shows my changes. But when I start up Daphne (alone or through the frontend MAMEWah) and load a game, none of my changes are there. Does anybody know what's going on?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:47 pm 
Registered  User

I went over and saw the post. Appreciate someone spreding the word.

As fas as I can see Daphne simply will NOT WORK with the default or modified setup of a GP-Wiz.

I have sent a request to Randy T of GGG to see if they have had any issues such as this and if they have a work around. No word yet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:07 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

I can't get Daphne to recognize either of my joysticks anymore. It will map buttons, but no keypad or joystick presses. Maybe a recent update broke it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:55 pm 
Registered  User

I just pulled Daphne from my cabinet. I will use MAME in the system and run Daphne from my PC only.

If they can't get a simple key map to work, what's the point. I know it's no easy task to build programs such as Daphne, but I really would like to see a cabinet of Laserdisc games in the near future.

Here's hoping for an update or fix.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Huggybaby wrote:
I can't get Daphne to recognize either of my joysticks anymore. It will map buttons, but no keypad or joystick presses. Maybe a recent update broke it?

I just tried to configure my xbox360 pc controller and had no issues. The up/down/left/right direction keys didn't need to be remapped - Daphne recognized the direction keys just fine during play. I also had no problem configuring buttons on the controller either. I've got some other joypads sitting around and will try those as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:59 pm 
Registered  User

It's odd. I really dont see an issue with the stick or main buttons, it's the ESC and Pause & 1/2 Credits that are eluding my mapping.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:12 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Games001 wrote:
It's odd. I really dont see an issue with the stick or main buttons, it's the ESC and Pause & 1/2 Credits that are eluding my mapping.

I didn't have any problems mapping those either.

You can also try to add those temporarily with a program called JoyToKey - I use it with some emulators such as Kega Fusion that use specail keys that normally aren't mapped. I know it's not the optimum answer - maybe it will work with Daphne (I don't have time to check now) - it may be worth a shot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
Registered  User

I tried JoyToKey.. no dice

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:19 pm 
Registered  User

Maybe this will help answer my specific case.

The computer I'm using in my arcade cabinet IS NOT hooked up to the internet. When I ran Daphne Loader, it always started up with two errors/pop up windows. I think one said something about not being able to go online to check for something. I would click ok, and then another popup mentioned not being able to update the controls. Clicking ok at that point started Daphne Loader ok. And my remapped controls were definitely in there. They just wouldn't work once I started up an actual game through Daphne.exe.

So hoping that was the problem, I put Daphne Loader on my desktop, and started it up fine without any errors. I remapped the controls once again, and then I closed it and loaded it a few times to double check everything.

Then I copied my entire Daphne folder back into my arcade cabinet computer. But again, my remapped controls just wouldn't work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:01 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Games001 wrote:
I just pulled Daphne from my cabinet. I will use MAME in the system and run Daphne from my PC only.

If they can't get a simple key map to work, what's the point. I know it's no easy task to build programs such as Daphne, but I really would like to see a cabinet of Laserdisc games in the near future.

Here's hoping for an update or fix.

The kind of support you guys want is commercial level support and you will not get that with a free hobby project like Daphne.

Make no mistake, the types of issues you guys are seeing are solvable, but it's going to require some kind of commercial Daphne offering, and right now there is no such thing. Frankly, I don't think there is a market for it. If I were to take it seriously, I'd need a substantial number of users who wanted it as I doubt one or two users would be willing to pay a real world contract wage for my time to address their issues.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:43 am 
Registered  User

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I think it's awesome that you guys out there created Daphne, letting us old guys relive our youths just a little bit. Playing Dragon's Lair and Space Ace again is a gift as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure the problem with the controls is just a little bug, and hopefully it will be corrected at some point.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:24 pm 
Registered  User

I fully agree with Jerry.

Matt, we are in no way down-playing your program or programming skills. Bugs are bugs, they are a natural part of any system.

We just hope that in making note of these issues we can in some way bring about resolution and make Daphne a better device for all of those geeks, like us, that want to play the moments of youth once again.

We appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into a device such as this. And personally, I would have no problem paying a fee for Daphne if it would push it toward '100% perfection'.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:02 am 
Registered  User

I have fixed my issue with Daphne not seeing key mappings.

I reinstalled JoyToKey and carefully mapped out every key, both for MAME, GameEX and Daphne.

Suddenly, even though I have used this program before to no avail, the Daphne mapping is now working in the Front End and along side MAME.

It's no real answer since I tried it before and it failed, but it works now.

Offline Profile