It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Re: daphne will not accept dragon's lair dvd
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:18 pm 
Registered  User

BUMP BUMP BUMP

I'm having the same problem, anyone have a remedy?

simonquinn wrote:
daphne will not accept dragon's lair dvd. an error message popped up saying "the disc is not suported, or may have errors." well i know the disc does not have errors. what am i doing wrong? do i have to configure daphne some how? i thought everything was auto?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Regarding my "fast and choppy" DL experience, I tried it on a different computer than my emachines, and while the beginning screens still seem to have the problem, after that everything is fine. Haven't tried Space Ace or DL2 yet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: DL2 in oldr versions of Daph?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 pm 
Registered  User

OK,

Refurbishing my cab that I've had since 2003 where everything worked perfect. Now with the new version, (Matt - not slamming on you at all, you've done freaking genius bringing this to life) I had to:

A: Sit through a 5 and one half hour download of the files
B: Through one half hour of verification I get kicked saying I don't have the correct DVD

and still cannot play my games I have played and entertained with for the past 5 to 6 years.

I switched to the newer version o Daphne only because I thought that was the only way to support my DL2 that came with the boxed 20th Anniv. Ed.

My DL and SA worked great prior. Yet I could not get the DL2 to work due to no support. Now I've gone to the new version hoping to play my DL2 on my cab as intended - ala la arcade.

Questions:

1) If I revert back to my old Daph to get my DL and my SA running ok again - is there a workaround to be able to load the DL2 also?

2) If I stick with the new Daph - is there a workaround that I can use to take advantage of my old DL and SA ports from the DVD2Daph on my DVD's and also be able to take advantage of the new download feature for my DL2?

Really frustrating. Matt - I still can't play my DL2 on my cab from my 20th Anniv. editon? Help me bro. PLEASE with - - - - - Daphne on top?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Regarding DVD problems, check the tech support forum for a sticky thread on the subject. (I just made a thread about this sticky so it's easier to find)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Thanks Matt
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:17 am 
Registered  User

Appreciate the mondo quick response. I'm in the process of making the (3) files as I speak, one for each game included in my original Digital Leisure 20th Anniv. Ed box, (DL,DL2 & SA). As soon as they are done I will mail them to the address provided in the instructions. Hopefully it still exists, I've noticed this thread is a bit old.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Files sent
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:24 am 
Registered  User

Thanks again for the response Matt. I followed the instructions and just sent off the three files for the games 5 minutes ago. Hopefully this helps and hopefully you can find the time to provide some insight. Again, much appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Problem with downloaded video footage - DL
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 am 
Registered  User

Sorry, this is the first time I've used daphne, so bear with me.

I have downloaded DL from the internet but have noticed that in the prototype footage, there are a couple of lines at the bottom of the screen which seem to be corrupted.

I have tried my own footage using dvd2daph and this corruption is not present.

Also when starting DL with the downloaded footage in prototype mode, the start sequence run differently to my own footage from the DVD's.

Am I doing somthing wrong here or do I have a problem with my downlad or settings?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Where did you download the footage from? Did daphne get it for you or someplace else?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Problem with downloaded video footage - DL
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:40 pm 
Registered  User

The footage was downloaded by daphne, when I noticed the problem, I deleted the entire folder containing the video and let daphne download it again just to be sure. I then tested my own dvd version using dvd2daph in case that's just how it was. I suppose I could try the download again, third time lucky maybe.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

the original footage came from a source on tape, so what you are seeing is also on the source, as well as the repro laserdisc and the 20th anniversary products from Digital Leisure. dvd2daph did post-processing on the proto footage and cropped out the distortion to make the proto video more seamless with the standard video. Daphne provides you with a high quality laserdisc capture, which seeks to emulate the original laserdisc and therefore includes the distortion. However, you can do whatever post-processing you'd like on your own.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:14 am 
Registered  User

Thanks for the explanation on the video, I guess it comes down to authenticity versus quality, and personal preference.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Files and DVD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:58 am 
Registered  User

erik7426 wrote:
What are the 3 gigs of files that daphne downloads for if you still have to have a DVD to play DL?

Also, the files that daphne has downloaded have an extension of .bf Am I supposed to do something ? rename them? move them?

Ditto, and Ditto......;. What exactly is Daphne for? When I use Daphneloader to download these files, (for DAYS!!!!!) I wind up with .bf files. What are THESE? When I rename the .m2v.bf to .m2v, the files are corrupt. Can't even open them with Media Player. Now, since I have the Laser Disk, which my PC can't read because I don't have a LASERDISK DRIVE in my PC, what the hell good is Daphne????

Bottom Line. Is there any way to get Daphne to work other than go buy brand new copies of each game on DVD, and, if I do that, what the hell do I need Daphne for?????

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:26 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Well..

1) READ the FAQ.

2) A short response..

Daphne is able to distribute the video/audio for Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest LEGALLY by requiring people who download their files from Daphne to prove they own the game from Digital Leisure. This is done by inserting the required DVD when prompted. This is a great milestone as before it required people to make their own captures from laserdiscs or download illegal files from the internet (not that YOU would want to do that). So why download the game if you own the DVD? Well - the captures provided by Daphne are in a lot of ways better than the DVD (such as Dragon's Lair II).

Daphne also emulates other laserdisc games that are NOT available on DVD - such as Road Blaster, Badlands, etc. Daphne is not just a Dragon's Lair emulator.

Ultimately - Daphne was created to be used by laserdisc game enthusiasts. You can either buy the DVDs or make your own laserdisc captures....Good Luck

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Bottom line marguesdefunk is maybe you should read the FAQ and readmes before posting such stuff. The swearing really impressed me.. NOT. Sorry but if you wish to play the DL games for now either get your own capture or buy the DVDs.

Kind of nice to see a first time poster complain about everything that Matt and the Daphne team have done for us real gamers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Files and DVD
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:38 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

marquisdefunk wrote:
Now, since I have the Laser Disk, which my PC can't read because I don't have a LASERDISK DRIVE in my PC, what the hell good is Daphne????

However, if you have a laser disc player and the appropriate cable you can connect it to you PC's com port and Daphne is more than capable of controlling you player.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Daphne command line problems
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 pm 
Registered  User

I'm new to Daphne, but am already a huge fan. Loading from DaphneLoader works well, but I'm trying to integrate Daphne into the MameWah frontend.

I can't get daphne to load from the command line even using the output generated by daphneloader. There appears to be 2 issues:

1.) Can't read zipped roms (if I unzip them, I have the next issue:)
2.) Could not open framefile : vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt (and it's there, I promise)

Here's the contents of daphne_log.txt:

Quote:
--DAPHNE version 1.0.0
--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir . -bank 0 11111001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480
--CPU : GenuineIntel 3350 MHz || Mem : 2048 megs
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 640
Setting screen height to 480
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 0
Initializing sound system ...
GI Sound chip initialized at 2000000 Hz
Joystick #0 was successfully opened
Remapping input ...
Loading ./roms/lair/dl_f2_u1.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/lair/dl_f2_u2.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/lair/dl_f2_u3.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Loading ./roms/lair/dl_f2_u4.bin ... 8192 bytes read into memory
Could not open framefile : vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt
Could not initialize laserdisc player!
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...

I've tried a variety of paths/alternate homedirs/framefile paths, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get this part working, I'll gladly share my daphne.ini file (for MameWah) back with the community.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Video initialization failed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 am 
Registered  User

Hello, I am new to Daphne and I am having some problems. Getting DL going. I have the 20th anniversary box set it's the dvd, I have followed all the steps for the install but when I run Daphne I get errors "Video initialization failed" Any ideas? Here is my log...

--DAPHNE version 1.0.10
--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:/daphne/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\daphne -bank 0 11111001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2600 MHz || Mem : 1024 megs
--OS : Windows XP/.NET || Video : Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
C:\daphne
Could not load bitmap : pics/led0.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led1.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led2.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led3.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led4.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led5.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led6.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led7.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led8.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led9.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led10.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led11.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led12.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led13.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led14.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led15.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/led16.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/player1.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/player2.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/lives.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/credits.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/saveme.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/gamenowook.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/overlayleds1.bmp
Could not load bitmap : pics/ldp1450font.bmp
Video initialization failed!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: I got it working
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 am 
Registered  User

I think I got it on my own! I had to uninstall Daphne and reinstall it, but it seems to work now! :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: I got it working
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Dave wrote:
I think I got it on my own! I had to uninstall Daphne and reinstall it, but it seems to work now! :-?

Yep, it was just an improper installation (the bitmaps were missing or in the wrong place).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Problems with Dragon's Lair
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Registered  User

Hi I am in the process of building my first arcade cabinet and have just moved my daphne folder with all files onto it. The paths are the same as on my PC but when I started DL I had the beeps during the test thingy but when the game started there was no music or sound effects. My speakers are working fine so it's not them. I am running a clean install of XP Pro 32bit. Any help would be great :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm 
Registered  User

Hey Guy's,

I followed the directions on the Wiki (Step By Step: Playing your first game) to set up Daphne and play Dragon's Lair it all went fine,, untill it comes to play no keys on the keyboard work I can not insert a coin it just plays the dragons intro over and over again...

So just to recap everything downloads, I insert DVD which is authenticated then the game opens in a window sound a picture are fine but no button's on my keyboard work..

Any help appreciated,, I am pulling my hair out with this..

Thanks in advance...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

ZOLTAR wrote:
Hey Guy's,

I followed the directions on the Wiki (Step By Step: Playing your first game) to set up Daphne and play Dragon's Lair it all went fine,, untill it comes to play no keys on the keyboard work I can not insert a coin it just plays the dragons intro over and over again...

So just to recap everything downloads, I insert DVD which is authenticated then the game opens in a window sound a picture are fine but no button's on my keyboard work..

Any help appreciated,, I am pulling my hair out with this..

Thanks in advance...

Someone else had this problem too. We determined that it was an incompatible keyboard. Maybe try a different keyboard?

(I don't really understand this problem since the keyboard apparently worked for everything but Daphne but... that's all I can suggest to you at this point)

EDIT : And by the way, thank you for reading the documentation!!! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 pm 
Registered  User

Hey Matt,

Thank you for replying,, I just hooked up a new keyboard and it still DOES NOT work,, when I press 5 to insert a coin I get a screen that has a list

1. insert coin
2. select 1 or 2 player
3. use the joystick
4. press the sword button

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

ZOLTAR wrote:
Hey Matt,

Thank you for replying,, I just hooked up a new keyboard and it still DOES NOT work,, when I press 5 to insert a coin I get a screen that has a list

1. insert coin
2. select 1 or 2 player
3. use the joystick
4. press the sword button

ah ha. it sounds like you just need to insert another coin. Dragon's Lair was notorious for costing 50 cents back in the day.

So to summarize, press 5 twice (2 coins), then 1 to start the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 pm 
Registered  User

Still nothing Matt it beeps when I press 5 then I just get animations from various points in the game.

I made a quick video can you have a look see it everything looks ok.

www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=17D(underscore)RAHJw0o

Thanks mate,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

ZOLTAR wrote:
Still nothing Matt it beeps when I press 5 then I just get animations from various points in the game.

I made a quick video can you have a look see it everything looks ok.

www(dot)youtube(dot)com(slash)watch?v=17D(underscore)RAHJw0o

Thanks mate,

I watched the video and I did not see these "animations from various points in the game." It just seemed to end at the screen you get when you insert a coin. Am I missing something?

Here is what is supposed to happen: When you start the game (by pressing 1), it will show the castle zooming in, then Dirk running into a corridor as gates crash down behind him. Then you will start on either the flaming ropes scene or the closing wall scene. If you do nothing, you will see a death scene and it will go to the next scene.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 am 
Registered  User

Matt it's ok I got it working,, thank you for helping you were right I inserted another coin and it worked.

And keyboard was fine..

The thing was,, I did not actually know the game had begun LOL!!.... WOW I feel Stupid.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am 
Registered  User

I am having a problem getting Dragons Lair to work.
I have Space ace working and all the other games.
This is the logfile I get and it dumps me out:

Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 80000001
Initializing sound system ...
GI Sound chip initialized at 2000000 Hz
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image dl_f2_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: C:/Emulators/daphne/vldp_dl/lair/./
YUV overlay is done in software (ie unaccelerated).
Booting ROM ..."

Totally Lost, Please Help.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 am 
Registered  User

The site will not let me post the entire logfile, it says it is too spammy. :-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:34 pm 
Registered  User

Hi, I am running daphne with and I am having some trouble with Dragon's Lair , and Space Ace
The Log says cannot load file C:/Emulators/Daphne/vldp/lair/lair24.m2v

Which version is lair24 anyways?
Does my rom folder have to be lair24 or lair?

Same with space ace which is

sa83.m2v

Which version is that?

Thanks

Offline Profile