It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Unable to go fullscreen under OS X 10.8.3 - possible bug?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 am 
Registered  User

Hi. I realise that I asked this question a few months back, but no amount of searching the forums (either with its own search function or Google) is turning up the thread I originally received the reply that fixed my issue in, so... Here's asking again :D

Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3, Daphne 1.0.0, Daphne Loader 1.0-2.2.1.

All requisite files, etc. are in the correct locations. However, if I try to run Daphne in fullscreen mode per the drop-down option in Daphne Loader, Daphne crashes with, "Daphne exited with result code: -1". This is irrespective of the resolution also set in the GUI.

If I specify the screen resolution under 'Advanced' using -x 1440 -y 900 (which matches my screen resolution), Daphne runs in a window but does not go fullscreen - the Dock and Menu Bar are visible at the bottom and top of the screen, respectively; a screenshot is here. Specifying -fullscreen along with -x 1440 -y 900 under the Advanced options or enabling it in the GUI results in a crash with "Daphne exited with result code: -1" again.

Hate to ask this question twice, but as the original thread is evidently gone, I'm kinda stuck having to. Unfortunately this machine seems to have developed an appetite for eating Apple-supplied hard drives, so in another 5-6 months (if the previous disk failures are anything to go by) I may be back asking again.

And since I nearly forgot, here's the output to daphne_log.txt. It appears as though Daphne is trying to set the screen resolution twice, which doesn't quite make sense - but it also doesn't seem to like my native resolution.

--DAPHNE version 1.0.0
--Command line is: /Applications/Daphne Loader.app/Contents/MacOS/Daphne.app/Contents/MacOS/Daphne cliff vldp -framefile /Volumes/Recovery/recovery/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data -bank 0 00000000 -bank 1 01000000 -bank 2 00000000 -bank 3 01111000 -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 -fullscreen -x 1440 -y 900
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2147 MHz || Mem : 0 megs
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
/Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 640
Setting screen height to 480
Setting screen width to 1440
Setting screen height to 900
WARNING : You have specified an abnormal screen resolution! Normal screen resolutions are:
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 960
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Unable to go fullscreen under OS X 10.8.3 - possible bug
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 am 
Registered  User

More on this: I decided to have a go at running Daphne from the commandline and see what happened. Results follow; note that although I'm using Cliff Hanger as the example, I've been able to reproduce this with other titles.

Example 1: a clean run without attempting to run in fullscreen mode. Emphasis in bold added to warnings below is mine.

seizure:MacOS casm$ pwd
/Applications/Daphne Loader.app/Contents/MacOS/Daphne.app/Contents/MacOS
seizure:MacOS casm$ ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data -framefile ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt
--DAPHNE version 1.0.0
--Command line is: ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data -framefile /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt
2013-03-28 17:18:59.717 Daphne[3632:707] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Mar 28 17:18:59 seizure.local Daphne[3632] <Error>: The function `CGSFlushWindow' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `CGSFlushWindowContentRegion' instead.

Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 1000004
Initializing sound system ...
No joysticks detected
Loading compressed ROM image cliff_u1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image cliff_u2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image cliff_u3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image cliff_u4.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image cliff_u5.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/vldp/cliff-r/./
YUV overlay is done in software (ie unaccelerated).
Loaded 2048 bytes from /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/ram/cliff.gz
Booting ROM ...
Play
Pause
Search to 6 received
NOTE: converting FPKS from 29970 to 23976. This may be less accurate.
Saved 2048 bytes to cliff.gz
Freeing memory used to store audio stream...
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...
seizure:MacOS casm$

Example 2: same commandline as above, but adding in '-fullscreen':

seizure:MacOS casm$ ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data -framefile ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt -fullscreen
--DAPHNE version 1.0.0
--Command line is: ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data -framefile /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt -fullscreen
Bus error: 10

Note the "Bus error: 10" error above, which is not reflected in daphne_log.txt. In fact, daphne_log.txt is not being written out in this case - the one that I have is still dated from yesterday.

Example 3: running the above commandline plus specifying the screen ratio:

seizure:MacOS casm$ ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data -framefile ~/Documents/DAPHNE\ User\ Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt -fullscreen -x 1440 -y 900
--DAPHNE version 1.0.0
--Command line is: ./Daphne cliff vldp -homedir /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data -framefile /Users/casm/Documents/DAPHNE User Data/vldp/cliff-r/cliff-r.txt -fullscreen -x 1440 -y 900
Setting screen width to 1440
Setting screen height to 900
WARNING : You have specified an abnormal screen resolution! Normal screen resolutions are:
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 960
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200

Bus error: 10

Same result, but we now get the "Bus error: 10" error that wasn't showing in daphne_log.txt. Note that daphne_log.txt also isn't written out in this case; I'm still looking at the one from last night.

All of the above is reproducible if sudo'd, so it doesn't appear to be a permissions issue.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but figured I'd mention it. The last version of OS X I was running DAPHNE under was 10.8.2 and I had no problems, but yet another system crash caused me to lose my settings. Italiandoh (I think) had the workaround for it last time, but I can't remember what it was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Registered  User

SDL quit working in 10.8.3 - if you change the video mode to Open GL it will work fine in fullscreen.

Hope this helps!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 pm 
Registered  User

zaph wrote:
SDL quit working in 10.8.3 - if you change the video mode to Open GL it will work fine in fullscreen.

Hope this helps!

Yep, that got it. Thanks. I feel slightly dumb for not thinking to switch renderers in all of this.

Out of curiosity, was this mentioned anywhere? I did try searching for info specific to 10.8.3, but didn'r find this on the forum or in the wiki.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:43 am 
Registered  User

Unfortunately no - not mentioned anywhere that I know of.

But thanks for bringing it up, as it does need fixing!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Unable to go fullscreen under OS X 10 8 3 possible bug
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm 
Registered  User

Since I updated to the new .17 version I am unable to drag and drop pieces from a menu window on the map
I installed the old version, but the problem persist.

What could be a solution?
Thank you

Offline Profile