It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Issues with GP World, DL2 beeps, and Thayers Quest subtitles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:21 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

OK, I never post here so please don't blame me if I am not 100 % following this forum rules.
Being on holiday, I had some spare time to update and play with Daphne. First of all thanks to all the developers for their effort, I'll make sure to make a donation for 2008.
I found some things that may or may not be a bug, so I'm posting them here for your comments :

- Thayer's quest subtitles are not very well updated, especially when you win a bonus time. They are not in sync with the speech. Plus they re-appear and blink when scoreboard time blinks.

- In GP World after game over, attract mode play speed is faster, probably still set to previous play game speed.

- In Dragon's lair 2, when move beeps occur during a search, they play until the search is completed.

What do you guys think ?
Also in GP World, I think the original arcade steering wheel was analog. Is there a way to make it more "playable" in Daphne ? Using arrow keys isn't a very good option...
I was wondering too if there's a way to stretch the video horizontally to play in arcade mode, where two regular monitors were put next to each other. Any clue ?
Bye and thanks for reading ! :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Some tests with Daphne V.1.0 and VLDP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:18 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

italiandoh wrote:
OK, I never post here so please don't blame me if I am not 100 % following this forum rules.

:evil:

Quote:
- Thayer's quest subtitles are not very well updated, especially when you win a bonus time. They are not in sync with the speech. Plus they re-appear and blink when scoreboard time blinks.

Probably won't get fixed since subtitles weren't part of the original game.

Quote:
- In GP World after game over, attract mode play speed is faster, probably still set to previous play game speed.

Sounds like a bug, but it's hard to know if it's in the emulation or the original ROM.

Quote:
- In Dragon's lair 2, when move beeps occur during a search, they play until the search is completed.

Known issue with no solution.

Quote:
Also in GP World, I think the original arcade steering wheel was analog. Is there a way to make it more "playable" in Daphne ? Using arrow keys isn't a very good option...

Quote:
I was wondering too if there's a way to stretch the video horizontally to play in arcade mode, where two regular monitors were put next to each other. Any clue ?

This wouldn't be that hard to do; I'll add a note.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: gpworld.txt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 pm 
Registered  User

I need the txt file

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:12 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

And what txt file would you be referring to?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:03 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ownby wrote:

Quote:

Ok, it's your baby of course, but I take a bit of exception to this response. Certainly it's a known issue, but how can their be no solution?

Off the top of my head, adding mouse/analog joystick support to daphne would be a solution. :wink:

If the original pcb didn't have actual analog inputs then it was probably using an analog to digital converter and a solution would be to either hook one up to an optical steering wheel (they are used in old 2600 trackballs, which you can get for a song) and wire that to digital inputs on your pc or simulate one in the code. How they work is fairly simple.... while the encoder wheel is blocking the optical sensor left or right is held down and while it isn't (the sensor is aligned with a hole) they are let up. So basically turning the wheel rapidly taps the left or right inputs.. the faster you turn the more taps per second and thus the sharper the turn. You probably know that, but just in case you didn't. The only trick is that these DAC's are often keyed to the size of the encoder wheel on the original hardware and thus only work best with the right pairing. A software version could compensate with a sensitivity setting though.

As for analog wheel (as in pots) support on a digital input it's still fairly simple. Basically you setup a timer to rapidly open/close the right or left inputs The value of the analog wheel/joystick controls the interval, with a low analog value setting a large time and a large value setting a quick time. The min/max intervals as well as the joystick's deadzone would need to be configurable of course.

I could be completely wrong on this though and there's some reason you can't add support, so correct me if I am, but regardless an explaination about this issue needs to be in the faq. I've had this question asked to me personally on more than one occasion by people wanting help with their daphne setups.

Not trying to get anyone riled up here, I'm just trying to be helpful.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:37 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

I think Matt meant he doesnt have the game so just by going with speculation on the controls is hard to do. Maybe you can fix it in Daphne for us HowardC> It is open source. I highly doubt the Daphne team would have problems with a fix from you for this game and others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:27 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
Ok, it's your baby of course, but I take a bit of exception to this response. Certainly it's a known issue, but how can their be no solution?

I meant the end user has no workaround to the problem; in other words, without modifying the source code, there is no solution.

Offline Profile