It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Artgod wrote:
Thats what I thought I bought.

Arrrgh... I can totally see why you thought you were buying the right thing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

I really feel for you on this purchase. I hope others will look this thread up and realize that i for one as a daphne user would not lead you away but please if you are a newbie look at any DVD that says PS2 or Xbox compatible as the ones to use for Daphne.

I still blame alot on Digital Leisure for the latest problems. Keep the cd's seperate from the DVD's.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:43 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks - I also hope someone sees this and doesn't burn their 40 bucks. I'll be the sacrificial lamb for Digital Leisure knowlege.

Matt, I'm wishing here but is their any way that Daphne can verify this disc?
If not I'll go to ebay and get the PS2 versions of them suggested my people in the chat room you have linked to this site - very helpful and supportive btw, great resource -

Thanks again for creating this emulator, I wish to play it one day lol.

AG -

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:58 am 
Registered  User

Update:

Well it's not a total loss for anyone who has these discs. I got them to work but without Daphne.

First the discs don't run right out of the box. You have to cancel out some codecs so it will play in order. Other wise all you get are death scenes. Stellar Product.... anyway. I finally got it working from the disc.

I use a awesome front end called 'Maximus Arcade' and it allows you to launch batch files. So I created a .cmd file and configured it to launch the cd .exe from the front end. I have to keep the disc in the drive but it works for now. The only issue I have right now is that it wont play full screen without hitting the "F" key to switch it to full screen. I need to research .cmd configuration to see if I can run it from there or maybe a command line string. I wanted to thank this forum for the support and suggestions in the chatroom. I just wish that Digital Leisure would take these disc off the shelf so no one else will make the same mistake I did.

I should have read the FAQs more than ounce. Thanks again.

Tj.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:02 am 
Registered  User

Well I am in the same boat as the OP. I just received this DVD today, had trouble with it, and only now find this thread.

Anyway, am I SOL on this? It seems like if people are obtaining files illegally to get this to work then someone should be able to send me these files without issues as I have bought a licensed copy of the game....?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:01 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

I wish to GOD that Digital Leisure wouldnt have done this to customers. Did you try the scanning of the disc that the FAQ talks about?

If so maybe i should buy the single DVD to see what is up with it.

I'm sure if Matt or the Daphne team had this disc someone would be able to look at it and figure out a solution to it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:47 pm 
Registered  User

Themonkee wrote:
I wish to GOD that Digital Leisure wouldnt have done this to customers. Did you try the scanning of the disc that the FAQ talks about?

If so maybe i should buy the single DVD to see what is up with it.

I'm sure if Matt or the Daphne team had this disc someone would be able to look at it and figure out a solution to it.

Yea I tried the scan mentioned in the FAQ (if it's the one where you run the small app and try to create a file in DOS?)...it wouldn't create a file for me.

I do plan on using this in Maximus Arcade so if Artgod figured out a way to get around hitting "f" to get to full screen mode, then leaving the CD in the drive wouldn't really be a problem I don't think. I'd rather just have this run seemlessly (and faster) though.

Themonkee - If you want to PM me your address, I will mail my copy to you for you to take a look at it if you don't mind sending it back when you're done.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Me too....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 am 
Registered  User

I fell victim to this as well. I searched the Daphne wiki and all it said to buy was the 20th Anniv. DVD version. Nothing was noted about the DVD-ROM vs. DVD-Video differences.

I actually have this working perfectly in Maximus Arcade WITH FULLSCREEN video from the start! No having to hit the f key. All you need to do is add "/f" (no quotes) after your .exe command in your command file.

Here is an example .cmd file that calls the exe from the system hard drive in a dir called "DL". (Remember, the DVD-ROM actually copies the exe and a few files to your system drive the first time you run from the DVD...thus my syntax.)

c:
CD \DL\
Dlair.exe /f

You will need to tell MA to scan for .cmd extensions under the batch file settings. Theoretically you could have teh same code for a .bat file, but MA has issues reading parameters in a batch file that come after an exe is run (I hope they fix that because it is retarded as is)

That's all you need for auto fullscreen in maximus arcade (or even for a desktop shortcut).

You also don't typically need to mess with any codecs as mentioned...just run it in Win 95 compatibility mode.

Even with it running well, I'm irritated because I have seriously inferior video quality and paid about the same as the DVD Video boxed set. I wish things were more clear on the Daphne site and wiki and that Digital Leisure distinguished the real differences between the two. I do feel ripped off to a degree because I did my research and everyone jsut said "Get the 20h Anniv. DVD and you'll be good". Live and learn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:19 pm 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

I guess it will have to be updated. I never realized that they even released the games one 1 DVD. Dont blame Matt or the Daphne team for this.
If i were you i would send the DVD back to DL and get my money back.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:59 pm 
Registered  User

I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but I'm not blaming Matt (I don't know who Matt is) nor do I blame the Daphne team for not supporting the DVD-ROM. They don't owe me anything and I would never demand features be added to a program, especially a free one.

It is just that no one, including the Daphne documentation wiki, distinguishes the difference between the DVD-Video and DVD-ROM versions. The wiki and every forum I posted on and read before buying the game said "get the 20th anniv DVD". No special warning about which one to avoid. Heck even a sticky in this board says DVD-ROM is supported.

I just wish it was made more clear that there are different versions of the 20th Anniv and that they don't all work with Daphne. It took until I attempted to run the game in Daphne for it to specifically distinguish between the DVD Video and ROM.

If anything I just hope it is clearly stated in the future for other prospective ussers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Unfortunately some of those stickies are outdated - Especially when Digital Leisure threw out a new PC DVD-ROM of the 20th Anniv.

The wiki has been updated...sorry for the confusion.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:07 pm 
Registered  User

Matt et all...

After checking back, the problem I was having WAY back when
https://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2387&highlight=
seems to be this one since the disc scanned here is the one I have. It also is being said that it is a LIGITIMATE Digital Leisure disc. So, there should be no LEGAL reason that Daphne shouldn't work with it. Is there some technical reason that it is not supported. If the reason is your time or a technical reason, then OK I'd just like to hear it. Those are very reasonable. However, if you're claiming the reason is legal, then I'd like to hear why it's not per the agreement with Digital Leisure. I bought the games from them IN ORDER to run Daphne legally.

Any idea when we might be able to support this version (or why you don't intend to)?

Thanks in advance guys!
Keith

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:34 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Jazman wrote:
Matt et all...

After checking back, the problem I was having WAY back when
https://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2387&highlight=
seems to be this one since the disc scanned here is the one I have. It also is being said that it is a LIGITIMATE Digital Leisure disc. So, there should be no LEGAL reason that Daphne shouldn't work with it. Is there some technical reason that it is not supported. If the reason is your time or a technical reason, then OK I'd just like to hear it. Those are very reasonable. However, if you're claiming the reason is legal, then I'd like to hear why it's not per the agreement with Digital Leisure. I bought the games from them IN ORDER to run Daphne legally.

Any idea when we might be able to support this version (or why you don't intend to)?

Thanks in advance guys!
Keith

It's not worth my time to support that disc or any future disc. Digital Leisure doesn't pay me any money for the extra incentive I give users to purchase their products, contrary to what some people may have assumed. All I wanted was to reduce the tech support burden on myself with this deal. But if this is going to become on ongoing maintenance burden for me (adding support for new discs on a regular basis), then I want to get fairly compensated, and I don't see that happening unless a large group of people wanted support for a single disc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 am 
Registered  User

IF YOU SQUINT REALLY HARD AND LOOK DOWN BELOW YOU WILL SEE PRODUCT OF CANA-DUH!!!! Of course its going to be a boot leg DUH!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 pm 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
It's not worth my time to support that disc or any future disc. Digital Leisure doesn't pay me any money for the extra incentive I give users to purchase their products, contrary to what some people may have assumed. All I wanted was to reduce the tech support burden on myself with this deal. But if this is going to become on ongoing maintenance burden for me (adding support for new discs on a regular basis), then I want to get fairly compensated, and I don't see that happening unless a large group of people wanted support for a single disc.

As someone who is just getting into Daphne, that is absolutely the assumption I had, that you had worked out some sort of arrangement with Digital Leisure.

Perhaps you could work out some sort of affiliate deal with them? My first inclination upon downloading Daphne was to look for a direct link from daphne-emu.com to purchase the Digital Leisure titles... hell, even just an amazon affiliate setup with links to the DL products would probably net you a few bucks here and there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:17 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Well...we did include some links to Amazon, ebay, and Digital Leisure here:

https://www.daphne-emu.com/mediawiki/index.php/DigitalLeisureDVD

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:17 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Howdy folks! .. Been gone a while.

How 'bout everyone throw a couple duckets at Matt so he can justify the time to add support for this disc.

Last time I looked at the wiki/faq, there were no pics of the products that worked. That would be a simple solution. Just a suggestion.

It's a shame to have to spend money twice but I really don't see that anyone is at fault. I think the Daphne project is really aimed at people building and playing their own DL arcade for nostalgic reasons. The money that goes into one of those things is considerably more than another disc. I bought mine directly from Digital Leisure for about 80 bucks for DL, DL2 and SA.:D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:04 am 
Registered  User

Hey folks. Looks like I just got tagged by this myself. I was told from dragonslayerfans.com to get daphne after I got the dvd. Honestly, I litterally just got it about 20 min ago. I really hope I can get this to work. If not looks like I will be sending it back also. I will keep you informed on what it is. I got the bluray for Christmas and it doesn't work smoothly on my bluray player. SHoot had up to 7 min wait times. So... I bought the dvd. Now it looks like I get to buy it again. Third times a charm right.? hehe. Oh boy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:33 am 
Registered  User

Strangely enough, The dvd worked fine for me.
-Without the Daphne player.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Well, it WILL work without Daphne. The issue is that although they keep trying - Digital Leisure cannot seemingly release a 100% Arcade accurate version of DL, DL2 or SA. They've come really close but Daphne does it best.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 am 
Registered  User

Gotcha.. Will try it with Daphne to see if it will work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:50 am 
Registered  User

bobguerra wrote:
IF YOU SQUINT REALLY HARD AND LOOK DOWN BELOW YOU WILL SEE PRODUCT OF CANA-DUH!!!! Of course its going to be a boot leg DUH!!!

It's definitely NOT a botleg...Digital Leisure IS a Canadian company. :)

A friend of mine bought this 3-on-1 version recently. It is definitely the Windows CD-ROM versions put on one DVD. I checked it out and it runs .avi files like the original Windows 95/98 CD versions. My friend sent it back after I pointed him in the right direction. Just got the DVD set tonight (still has that new DVD smell, too)!

Offline Profile