It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: DLE 2.1 ROM Prototype Mode 2PL Play Reset Bug w/ DAPHNE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Matt,

FYI. Matteo posted about this on the DLP. I was able to reproduce this Bug on my DAPHNE PC, as well. This Bug happens most of the time, there are a few times that this Bug does not happen. Not quite sure what causes it though. Basically, While Playing a 2 Player Game using the DLE 2.1 Roms in Prototype Mode, sometimes just after the 2nd Player Dies the first time or sometimes when the 1st Player Dies the second time, the game just resets. It goes to the, "NOW IT IS TIME TO GIVE THE OTHER PLAYER A CHANCE" Freeze Frame Screen then the Game just resets.

I have tried to reproduce this Bug using my Original Dragon's Lair Hardware in my Original Game, but I can not reproduce it using the DLE 2.1 Roms in Protype Mode. So, it could be a DAPHNE Bug of some sort.

Here is the Link to the DLP Discussion: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/community/forums/board/forum_posts.asp?TID=61484

You can see a Short Video of this Bug while I was playing the Game on my PC here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-MTt3ERFI

Here is my DAPHNE Log, as well. This does not make much since to me. The Scenes listed in the Log are not what scenes played during my game. Maybe you can make more out of it than I can.

--DAPHNE version 1.0.12
--Command line is: daphne.exe dle21 vldp -framefile C:/Users/lord_victorino/Desktop/DAPHNE/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -blank_skips -homedir C:\Users\lord_victorino\Desktop\DAPHNE -useoverlaysb 1 -bank 0 11111000 -bank 1 10110111 -sound_buffer 2048 -volume_vldp 32 -x 640 -y 480
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2500 MHz || Mem : 4096 megs
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
C:\Users\lord_victorino\Desktop\DAPHNE
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 640
Setting screen height to 480
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 0
Initializing sound system ...
GI Sound chip initialized at 2000000 Hz
Joystick #0 was successfully opened
Remapping input ...
Loading compressed ROM image DLE21_U1.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image DLE21_U2.bin...8192 bytes read.
Loading compressed ROM image DLE21_U3.bin...8192 bytes read.
Framefile parse succeeded. Video/Audio directory is: C:/Users/lord_victorino/Desktop/DAPHNE/vldp_dl/lair/./
YUV overlay is done in software (ie unaccelerated).
Booting ROM ...
Play
LDP : disc is already playing, play command ignored
Play
Display disable received
Search to 31715 received - [2e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
search succeeded d0
Play
Display disable received
Search to 300 received - [2e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
search succeeded d0
Search to 32759 received - [ 9] Grim Reaper, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 32911 received - [ 9] Grim Reaper, Sequence 2
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 33284 received - [3b] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 4
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18282 received - [18] Crypt Creeps, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 40052 received - [11] Pool of Water, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 40594 received - [11] Pool of Water, Sequence 29 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 316 received - [11] Pool of Water, Sequence 34 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Search to 32759 received - [ 9] Grim Reaper, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 32911 received - [ 9] Grim Reaper, Sequence 2
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 33284 received - [3b] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 4
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18282 received - [18] Crypt Creeps, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 18378 received - [18] Crypt Creeps, Sequence 4 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 316 received - [18] Crypt Creeps, Sequence 6 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Search to 38106 received - [ b] Closing Wall, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 37828 received - [ b] Closing Wall, Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 37893 received - [ b] Closing Wall, Sequence 2
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 38035 received - [ b] Closing Wall, Sequence 6 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 316 received - [ b] Closing Wall, Sequence 7 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Search to 39823 received - [15] Falling Platform - 9 Levels (Mirrored), Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 39294 received - [15] Falling Platform - 9 Levels (Mirrored), Sequence 0
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 39746 received - [15] Falling Platform - 9 Levels (Mirrored), Sequence 10
search succeeded d0
Play
Search to 316 received - [15] Falling Platform - 9 Levels (Mirrored), Sequence 12 Death Scene
search succeeded d0
Search to 1 received - [3e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
LDP-VLDP.CPP ERROR: frame could not be converted to file, probably due to a framefile error.
Your framefile must begin no later than frame 00001
This most likely is your problem!
LDP : search failed immediately
LDV1000 Error: Search command was not accepted!
Search to 2 received - [3e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
LDP-VLDP.CPP ERROR: frame could not be converted to file, probably due to a framefile error.
Your framefile must begin no later than frame 00002
Search to 3 received - [3e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 1 Resurrection Scene
Your framefile must begin no later than frame 00003
Play
LDP : disc is already playing, play command ignored
Play
Display disable received
Search to 31715 received - [2e] OUT OF BOUNDS, Sequence 0 Attract Mode
search succeeded d0
Play

Yours Truly,

Tony M Victorino

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DLE 2.1 ROM Prototype Mode 2PL Play Reset Bug w/ DAPHNE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:00 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi,

I think I found a Bug or Bugs in your DLE 2.1 Roms. This Bug only happens when people play a 2 PLR Game in Prototype Mode. Not sure if it may just be one Bug causing these issues or maybe multiple Bugs, but the problem is similar in either case. This Bug causes DAPHNE to reset when it happens. But if using the Original Hardware this Bug causes the Game to show the wrong Scene in place of the Correct Scene when using your Roms stated above in an Original Game Logic Board instead of resetting the Game. This Problem happens in the same place in both cases, as well.

The Resurrect Scene in the Prototype Squid with the Stairs Scene and the Resurrection in the Lizard King Scene. So, a Player has to Die just before these Scenes play next, and on the next turn this issue happens.

For the Squid with the stairs Scene, it plays Death Scenes from one of the Pool Rooms Scene, instead of the Resurrection Scene, but then continues with the Playable part thereafter. The Lizard King Scene, it plays Death Scenes from the Lizard King Scene, instead of the Resurrection Scene, but since this Scene is a Continuation of the Playable part of the Scene, you Die if you do nothing. Of course if you keep Tapping Right, you will get the Game to skip to the Short Cut of the Lizard King Scene and continue on from there. This only works while using these Roms with an Original Logic set up. Otherwise on DAPHNE, the Game just resets. This can happen on either Player's Game.

Don't know why why DAPHNE Resets while using the Original Hardware cause just the Wrong Scene to play. So, DAPHNE does not Emulate this Bug in the same way as using the Original Hardware.

Best way to Test this is to set the Game on Unlimited Lives and play the game while trying to set up the Combination just right where the next Scene will be one of these two Scenes to start off next. I have noticed that sometime these Resurrection Scenes do play, but I think it is because if one or the other has already played that Scene through, it works fine for the other Player. It also may be a Combination on what Scene someone Died on and what the Next Scene is. Not completely sure. I have Tested All of the other Resurrection Scenes and they All seem Good. But I seem to recall two other Scenes that may have had these same strange Scenes play wrong. But the two listed above I was able to do it just about every time. And it always involved a Resurrect Scene, that is for sure. DLE 2.1 Roms, Prototype Mode, 2 PLR Game.

I want to know if any one else you could verify my findings. Or have someone with the above set up verify it for me.

You can kind of figure out which Scenes may play where by looking at the Chart here: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/enhancements/dle2xsequence.asp

Of course these Game Roms have a Semi-Random Pattern to it. A Percentage Change of what Scene will play next. So, there is a bit of Trial and Error of sorts to the Testing. If you are using Daphne, the Game will just reset. If you are using the Original Hardware, then you should get these Wrong Scenes that play and the Game will continue playing above.

Oh and before I forget. Also the way that these Roms are made, after someone Dies Twice at any Scene, the Game will just move on and skip that Scene thereafter. All Except the Dragon's Lair, of course, where it would just keep playing it forever thereafter.

Thanks.

Yours Truly,

Tony M Victorino

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 am 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi,

It looks more and more like this Bug is indeed in the DLE 2.1 Roms, after all. And since this Bug causes DAPHNE to reset, makes The Testing of this Bug on DAPHNE Impossible. The only thing I am curious about is why this Bug causes DAPHNE to reset while using the Original Hardware just causes the wrong Scene to play instead. But that's about it. So, IMO, there is no need for anyone to Test this Bug out with DAPHNE anymore, at this point. So, I am going to continue Testing this Bug out by using just my Original Hardware at this point, myself. Keeping DAPHNE only as a back up in case I make any progress.

Yours Truly,

Tony M Victorino

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

A year and a half later, I don't completely remember all of the details of this issue anymore, but I seem to recall that Daphne and Merlin were each coincidentally having separate problems in relation to this issue. But anyway, for the record, DLE was in the clear. The issue was successfully resolved without any changes to DLE.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:25 pm 
DAPHNE Tester
DAPHNE Tester

Hi Dave,

FYI. Even though the same area of DLE was causing both problems, they were indeed separate issues. Only happens in 2 Player Mode and when a Player Resurrects at the Top of the DLE Scene Selection Column.

The Problem with Merlin only happens in PR-7820 Mode and DLE was because Shaun Programmed PR-7820 Mode to be more like LDV-1000 Mode, where Merlin would Acknowledge that each Command was Correct before going on. PR-7820 would just Acknowledge any command as Just a Command, and not knowing what is actually was. Because the area in DLE causes such a quick search, play, quick search, play, so quickly, It caused Merlin to miss a Command or misread a Command and do something else.

The fix was programming PR-7820 Mode back to it Original Design.

With Daphne, it's Problem still exists. And it Only happens in 2 Player Mode and when a Player Resurrects at the Top of the DLE Scene Selection Column. And if memory serves me correct, it has something to do with how the ldimg file works in DAPHNE, where the ldimg file is off set to be able to sync the Game with the Video in DAPHNE. The area where DLE causes the Game to go to in the ldimg file it out of parameters of what DAPHNE knows as part of the ldimg file, because of the ldimg file off set to Sync the Video with the Game. Which causes DAPHNE to reset, because that is what it is programmed to do if it runs into an unsolvable error. Which is caused by this.

But since Daphne is no longer being worked on, at this time, the problem still exists.

Yours Truly,

Toyn M Victorino

Dave Hallock wrote:
A year and a half later, I don't completely remember all of the details of this issue anymore, but I seem to recall that Daphne and Merlin were each coincidentally having separate problems in relation to this issue. But anyway, for the record, DLE was in the clear. The issue was successfully resolved without any changes to DLE.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
Registered  User

Anybody know if this issue happens in the 2.0 romset?

I can confirm this bug as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am 

I again forget the details with another 2 years gone by, but Daphne can definitely be expected to respond to DLE 2.0 in the same way, as nothing about the 2 player game tracking structure changed with 2.1.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 am 
Registered  User

That is so sad that this game cannot be played in 2 player mode. Any chance of Matt Fixing it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:23 pm 

With still-fuzzy memory, I was reading some old stuff, and it looks like this problem has it roots in the existence of a bug in the original Cinematronics DL ROMs which was resolved in DLE 2.0 in a way unexpected by Daphne. According to my following quote (excerpts) from the release day of DLE 2.0, this original bug was literally a last-minute emergency thing that I discovered during what I thought was my final playtest, which almost got released, but was successfully dealt with first.

-BEGIN QUOTE-

15 Sep 2002
Unfortunately I found a problem yesterday during final testing. With the addition of new proto scenes, it seems that the Space Ace 2-player game bug that Tony M. Victorino told us about a while back has surfaced in DL! The proto scenes seem to have extended the scene matrix into the range of being affected by the bug, so I need to get that out of there.

20 Sep 2002
everything is OK now. The problem I found was actually not the same Space Ace bug.
Turns out this bug does exist in the original Dragon's Lair ROMs, and no one has ever found it! If player 2 reaches the lair before player 1 does, then the game won't remember which scenes from among the tentacles, snakes, & cauldron, that player 1 completes. It's possible player 1 could play one of those scenes three times during the same game and never play the other two.

-END QUOTE-

In other words, (as I am interpreting my quote today), in the original DL, after player 2 reaches the lair first, then each time player 1 reaches that specified tier of 3 scenes, he could randomly get any of them, even if they were previously played.

So it looks like this obscure & buggy 2-player situation in the original DL ROM, which had always remained under the radar, became magnified and more problematic in the DLE 2.0 beta because of DLE's multiple "castle sections" causing the issue to surface sooner and more often (since functionally, reaching the end of each castle section is akin (code-wise) to reaching the lair in the original). However, I don't recall why this issue should be confined to the prototype game. In any case, it looks like this was the reason for the change in DLE 2.x, which works with the original hardware. If it's any consolation to Daphne users... Without this change, the 2-player game would have been noticeably problematic anyway, because of the Cinematronics bug.

BTW, probably over 80% of the most major & game-breaking problems, bugs, delays & setbacks that I've ever had during the development & beta-testing of DLE, SAE and DL2E have only occured during 2-player games. (All of which were resolved.) Very problematic, those 2-player games, and usually lots of disproportionately extra work required to deal with 2-player issues... which really sucks because it seems like 2-player games probably don't even get any considerable amount of use!! So there's a good tip for you; if you want to try and find any quirks with any version of ROMs on the Cinematronics DL/SA hardware... pay special attention to 2-player games. That's the weak spot.

Offline Profile