It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Is this forum still moderated at all?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:25 pm 
Registered  User

Just curious if I'm wasting my time waiting for an answer, I notice most posts from mods are pretty old.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Is this forum still moderated at all?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

I would strongly suspect, according to the "Daphne commercial use statement" link on the Daphne home page, that your message has given the mods "a huge slap in their collective face." The fact that an attempt at legalization was made by chucking a liquidated, off-brand, bundle promo DVD into your cabinet doesn't affect where your money went (or where it didn't go), so my guess would be no, don't wait for an answer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:59 am 
Registered  User

Not exactly sure how asking how to buy it through Daphne or wherever I'm supposed to get it was a slap in the face, but seeing as how the latest post I saw from an admin was 2007 I'd say you're right about not waiting for a response..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am 

Again, I'm guessing, that the reason the mods used the slapping verbiage in their commercial use statement is because Daphne was included as content to make a product more attractive to you, which you paid someone else for, and then sought support here, possibly even at the suggestion of the seller, as opposed to the seller taking the responsibility to provide the support. And here's where that makes a difference vs. regular tech support requests from people who have downloaded & installed Daphne on their own: It's so easy to get a used Space Ace DVD on the internet and use it with the latest version of Daphne as instructed by the documentation that, on average, a person who makes your request instead of just doing it will usually also seek to have their hand held through the whole process, which again should be the job of the seller who collected the person's money. Whereas people who installed Daphne on their own usually have a higher skill set to easily solve your query without anyone's help. People who buy a ready-to-go Daphne cabinet without that skill set and who then get passed on to the Daphne mods for support is where the slap comes in. But those are typical past observations; I'm not making any conclusions about your personal skills, just pointing out that the info you've given does fit the bill and can be expected to go unanswered for those reasons. Your intentions sound good, and it's unfortunate that you're in the middle. If you are in fact skilled, then you need simply read the Daphne documentation and get a DVD and do it. But if there's anything weird about your system that renders the docs insufficient for you, that's strictly a problem between you and the seller. I see in the member list that the Daphne creator's last login was Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:11 pm, which is 46 minutes after your first message.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:51 pm 
Registered  User

No it's not really a Daphne cabinet it comes from X-Arcade, Lair is the only thing linked to Daphne, and they are good about supporting you with the legal items they pre-installed, which included Dragon's Lair and the corresponding DVD, but not Space Ace. Anything you download they tell you they can't help because it's illegal which I get. As for my skill set in regards to computers it is limited to building my own systems but I'm new to emulators. My career is in the medical field not computer software which is why I sought advice before attempting it, plus I've seen people mention different versions of Space Ace, and comparing DVD to Laser Discs. X-Arcade also did not point me to the website, I just googled it when I saw it runs Dragon's Lair, everything else is just Mame Rom emulators, with the legal DVD's for backup ( unopened). Also asking for advice on how to do something is not having your hand held, if you tried working in my career field are you going to say you could do it with no instruction whatsoever? After all we'd hate to have to hold your hand and explain anything to you. I do appreciate though you inadvertently answering my question in the middle of your snarky comments. :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 am 

I'm glad the seller doesn't redirect people and also supports what they provided. I'd have to say that snarkiness is starting a new & separate message thread to ask if you're wasting your time here. Not to mention that your singling out the mods as the only people who should be responding to you in this community forum further supports their slap in the face standpoint. You get back what you put in, that's all. If you stripped out my accurate explanations of why a mod response should not be expected, which clearly emphasized that past occurances were being cited without assuming anything about your individual situation, then the only thing that would remain in my last message is the equivalent of 'RTFM', and this was not inadvertant at all, don't know why you thought it was. I'm glad it helped. But again, for a tech support issue to be solved with 'RTFM' constitutes yet another characteristic of everything I explained. To answer your question, no I'd never attempt to perform a high skill task that requires years of education and training without any instruction, and I wouldn't think that you should either, but googling a piece of software, and then clicking on its docs and reading, to paraphrase, "get a DVD, insert it, and the software will do everything else for you", is not a high skill task, and it is something that yes, I could do myself without asking anyone to tell me whether I'm wasting my time, potentially exposing myself to any perceived snarkasm. But that's just me; I'm not saying that somebody without the necessary skill should try it on their own. I'm just pointing out that your second message was poor.

Offline Profile