It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: No DVD drive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:40 am 
Registered  User

I didn't quite see this question posed exactly, but I want to load Daphne onto an Alienware Alpha that does NOT have a DVD drive. I actually DO have the 20th anniversary DVD set of DL, DL II, and SA.

So what are my options for verifying that I own the discs? Can I load Daphne onto a computer with a DVD drive, verify the discs there BEFORE I download the video/audio files (that computer is very low on space), and then transfer the entire program, or the authentication file to the Alienware setup?

Would creating ISOs of the DVDs and transferring them to the Alienware do it (though I'd hate to use this method, I will if I have to)?

Can the discs be verified over a local network (with the DVDs running on one computer, and the program running on another)?

I realize that getting a portable DVD player and hooking it up to the Alienware would be the best option, but I don't know where I would find one. I don't suppose there's a way to hook up a commercial non-computer based blu-ray player to the Alienware and verifying that way, is there?

Thanks for any help. I've had this DVD set for a while now and just stumbled across this incredible program, Daphne. I never could play it very well on just a DVD player using the DVD remote, so I'm looking forward to getting this to work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No DVD drive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:34 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

If you can share the DVD drive as a network share, that would probably work (although it's been a while so I can't say for sure). Or as you said, doing the decryption on a machine with the DVD drive and then copying the whole folder over to another machine should also work.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No DVD drive
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:41 pm 
Registered  User

Thanks so much for the help! After some trial and error, I was able to share the DVD drive on my networked family computer with the Alpha.

The authentication process took a LOOONG time! Over an hour for each game. I thought the video files used for Daphne were downloaded from the web, but it seemed like it was getting them from the DVDs. If not, I wonder why it took so long for the authentication. Surely there's a quicker way, like just recognizing the DVD and moving on.

Everything seems to work though! Thanks again for your advice.

Offline Profile