It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MACH 3 update
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:57 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Invader_ZIM wrote:
Sorry, I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. :(

I just ran MACH 3 again and found that all the targets need to go to the right and DOWN from where they are. If you move the little constant target box in the upper right hand corner of the screen down and to the right until it doesn't show up on the screen, it would line up with all the targets in the game very well.

Sorry again for the confusion :(

I can see the little box in the upper-right corner (funny how I never bothered noticing it before hehe) and I can see that it probably should be shifted to the right, but I do not see why you think it should also go down...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:02 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
But one thing..... I've been using the same mpeg and same framefile literally for years now. Did anything code-wise change that could have caused daphne to crap out like that? My guess is the offset was always a little bit off and before daphne just ignored it but in recent builds it decided to freak out.

Yes, I made the cliff hanger / pr8210 emulation more accurate. Cliffy's hardware is supposed to indicate whether a search has completed or not. In v0.99.6 and earlier, we always indicated that searches had completed even if they hadn't. This was because searches from the hardware's point of view, were instantaneous. But now the cpu will continue to run while the disc (or vldp) is searching, so it was necessary to actually have the 'search not complete' flag work as designed on the original hardware. So now if the search never completes, the game won't work. This is how it should be, IMO.

I've been aware that many people are playing cliffy without a frame 6 unwittingly. Hopefully this will now fix the problem :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: DOH! Space Ace and SAE DVD2DAPH Frame Files Work fine...
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:04 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Lord_Victorino wrote:
I will continue to do my best in the support of making DAPHNE better by
testing out each and every revision of DAPHNE to the best of my ability.
DAPHNE is just GREAT!!!

thanks Tony! Your help in testing (as well as the help from others) has been very valuable to me!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:22 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Matt,

The only reason you would want to move the target box down the same distance that you move it to the right is that it would actually line up with the origional game targets.

The bridges in the bomber mode for example currently all have the targets above where they should be. Other targets in game like the ships in port, etc. all have the target boxes north west of where they should be. This becomes more noticeable when the target is a very small ship, currently the target wouldn't cover the ship, but would if all targets shifted south and east. :)

The only thing that may thrrow all this off though is the disc errors :( They are very consistent and happen at two spots in the game.

1st one is where you start comming up on the large ship in dock that has a heliport, the other is when the pilot says you're coming up on the enemies industrial complex. At this point the Disc error pops up about 5 times, then it seems to fix itself and you have your targets again and the game continues as normal.

I would also like to just say thank you for all the hard work to make this possible. I really like being able to play Mach 3 and Cobra Command on my computer.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

HowardC wrote:
I'm getting an odd problem with cobraab:

The game playes fine, but the overlay is cut off.

It almost looks like a border is cut out around it, but I don't think the offset is wrong, because the crosshairs and "lock on" boxes seem to line up. I can send a pic if you need it. I'm running a radeon 9600.

ok I looked into this. We are shifting the overlay up by 16 pixels to make the targets line up with the video. If we don't shift the overlay up, then it draws all the way to the bottom, but then the targets don't line up. The only thing to do and keep the targets line up is draw a black bar at the bottom of the screen, but that might look kind of weird too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:19 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ownby wrote:
etumor wrote:
For whatever it is worth, you can add the Radeon 9250 to the list of cards that don't work. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

If you want spend some time fixing the ATI card problem, I have an idea of what needs to be done.

The problem is inside sdl.dll (which has full source available). I already made some changes (which can be found here: http://www.daphne-emu.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/daphne/src/sdl_mods/).
I think the main problem is that SDL uses DirectX 3 calls for its YUV stuff and ATI probably never bothered testing that far back with the 9200-9600 series, then caught their mistake by the time they hit 9800 and fixed it. I suspect if you change all the calls to use DirectX 7 or so (that is the last SDK I got that had yuv overlay sample code in it) that the 9200-9600 should probably work under those circumstances. There was a reason I did not do this originally.. the reason is probably that it was a lot of work to convert everything from DX3 to DX7... the SDL author seems to have stopped development on SDL and he never did accept my patch for improved YUV, so any work we do will only help daphne... but I don't really have time to work on this right now, nor do I have a troublesome ATI card to test with.. but someone could make it work, I am sure. Having all the source code makes it possible...

I might be able to help I dunno, but I mainly learned Dx8 and went from there and as you know the gap between dx7 and dx8 is great. I think it's more of a matter of ati not caring than anything else. The 9000 series requires you to at least use dx7, so I guess they assume that you wouldn't be running anything that'll use anything less than maybe dx5 calls. Of course they would be wrong, but I can see their point.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Update on MACH 3 Disk Errors
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:33 am 
Registered  User

Just an update for MACH 3 :)

I got rid of all of the Disk Errors I had previously by changing the m3target.bin file for a newer one that I got at Scott's Boldtower site here:

http://www.boldtower.com/mach3/m3target.bin

All the target markers are still North and West of where they should be. Hope this helps guys.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:39 pm 
Registered  User

Just had a revelation...

My framefile must be the culprit.. DOH!!

Matt, you were right, I think you only need to move the boxes to the right. The framefile would do the rest I think.

Sorry for the confusion, I never thought about the framefile :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:31 pm 
Registered  User

Confirmed, framefile had to be adjusted to a setting of -84

All targets are lined up correctly, they just need that nudge to the right using the target glitch in the upper right hand corner of the screen as a reference and then MACH 3 will be perfect. :D

Thanks for making this possible guys, it took 20 years for me to get the chance to see MACH 3 working again, and it was worth the wait. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: MACH 3 update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:41 pm 
Registered  User

Invader_ZIM wrote:
Sorry, I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. :(

I just ran MACH 3 again and found that all the targets need to go to the right and DOWN from where they are. If you move the little constant target box in the upper right hand corner of the screen down and to the right until it doesn't show up on the screen, it would line up with all the targets in the game very well.

Sorry again for the confusion :(

how, exactly, do you move the targeting box in the upper right corner? is that something done during game play or a configuration setting somewhere?
thanks
saecrow

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:22 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

lol no... it'll have to be fixed in the next release of daphne

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:27 am 
Registered  User

What HowardC said :)

We just have to wait for the next Daphne version to see if it's been fixed.

The only thing I could change was my framefile, and changing the framefile shifts the target placement up or down, not left or right.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:52 am 
Registered  User

gotcha! thanks guys. . . just got a little excited, i'm psyched about playing it as it is. . .this is awesome!! i am very grateful to the developers of and the community that helps them improve daphne.
thank you!!
saecrow

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:25 am 
DAPHNE Gold Donator
DAPHNE Gold Donator

I just want to say from the bottom of my heart - thank you all for the hard work you are doing - Matt and company - you guys are the best and I appreciate everything you all are doing. Thank you again,

Joe.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:59 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

glad you are enjoying it, tough joe.

look for a new release soon, with a fix for the ATI problem! :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:43 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

sweet.... you "da man" :D

Offline Profile