It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Poll #1 : Screen rotation, mpeg resolution, etc
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:20 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

The first poll has finished, with some clever chap sniping at the last second to propel the screen rotation category passed the dvd2daph category. Here are the details of what I am going to work on.

I am adding support to VLDP for OpenGL surfaces. This will not only make rotation easy, but it also means that the mpeg video does not have to be the same resolution as the computer graphics overlay. How does this benefit Freedom Fighter and Star Rider? Both of these games use some kind of video enlarger which seems to zoom in the video (without affecting the computer graphics apparently). Using the current VLDP method of YUV surfaces, this kind of zooming is impossible. But with OpenGL, this becomes very easy to do. So OpenGL surfaces will make emulating Freedom Fighter and Star Rider more possible.

I have already implemented some simple OpenGL surfaces "in software" (ie with no hardware acceleration) and while they seem to work fine, they are also extremely slow. My next stop is to optimize these surfaces to use OpenGL shaders which I hope will make them extremely fast, possibly even faster than the regular YUV overlays that are currently being used.

The downside is that the fully acceleration OpenGL shaders will probably require fairly new video cards, like a GeForce FX (aka GeForce 5 series) or better (or ATI equivalent), but I am sure that won't be a big deal to those who really need this feature :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:05 am 
DAPHNE Platinum Donator
DAPHNE Platinum Donator

Boo!!!

I came back and looked at the current voting and it had ended :cry:

Oh well, next time. If it wasn't for those damn pesky kids <Walks away muttering>

Cheers
-Dal-

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Poll #1 : Screen rotation, mpeg resolution, etc
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:35 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Matt Ownby wrote:
My next step is to optimize these surfaces to use OpenGL shaders which I hope will make them extremely fast, possibly even faster than the regular YUV overlays that are currently being used.

I got this working this morning. The speed is awesome! I haven't yet tried to optimize the graphics overlay, and I think I can get an additional speed boost when I do.

It will require OpenGL v2.0 capable cards. (I have a geforce 6800 ultra, for reference)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:44 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Here's an update.
OpenGL is working, rotation is working, most of the video options are working. I still need to add blending, scanlines, and vertical stretch, and then I should be done.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:28 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Screen rotation support should now be fully functional and will be included in the next version of Daphne.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:08 pm 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Thanks again Matt

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 am 
Registered  User

Matt, first Thank you!

lol, second... great timing :roll: i spent months on working out an easy way to rotate DL and the day after i figured it out, you came out with the rotation feature! hahahhah, couldnt have been any funnier if it had been planned!

i tried out the version of daphne that i d/l'ed yesterday, and it rotates the screen nicely. That being said, it also shrinks the video quite a bit. i am using a 26" tv monted on its side and there are quite large black bars on either side of the screen. about 2" on either side of the video, so i have a small pictrure centered in the screen, i understand that there will be on the top and bottom but, is there any setting i should be configureing, to eleminate the space on the sides?

again. i don't want to sound like a whiner. i love the new feature and think you are doing an awesome job!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:06 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I don't see how you would be getting black bars on the sides. What is your command-line (from daphne_log.txt) ?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 pm 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
I don't see how you would be getting black bars on the sides. What is your command-line (from daphne_log.txt) ?

C:\Emulators\Daphne\daphne.exe dle2 vldp -framefile D:\emulator_files\Laserdisc\DLDVDROM\lair_dvdrom.txt -fullscreen

all i have done with the config is point it to my DL Rip

the bars on the side are 1.75" (i measured it) i'll attach a picture so you can see what i am talking about.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:34 am 
Registered  User

you know what, never mind... it seems to be my screwy computer. i installed an older version of Daphne, and well, it did the same thing already rotated and in a tiny little screen.

anyways i'll have to figure this out myself, as it seems not to be a daphne issue.

Thanks anyways.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:30 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

It looks like you aren't using any of the rotation stuff I added to Daphne at all. Since your video seems to be pre-rotated, you will want to reverse the X and Y resolutions with DaphneLoader (so 640x480 becomes 480x640). I added the ability to do this in the beta build of DaphneLoader v2, which I am assuming you are using (but now am thinking maybe you aren't?). You can try it out here.

Another poster has alerted me that Daphne won't allow X resolutions of anything less than 640, so 480 won't currently work, but I plan to fix this soon. You could always try 768x1024 for now :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:10 pm 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
I added the ability to do this in the beta build of DaphneLoader v2, which I am assuming you are using (but now am thinking maybe you aren't?).

I was actually using V2.1.21 but it is on a machine without internet access so it wasnt auto updating. Now i have re-run it on a machine with internet access and have the new 2.1.25 with the rotation feature. I am going to experiment on it and i'll let you know if i find anything important!

thanks again for all your help!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:07 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

The new DL kicks A@@!

Matt, when will you migrate key mapping from .99 to 2.x?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:08 am 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Oops, I mean, to the newer version you're working on?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:41 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Huggybaby wrote:

That is a voting choice. I will add key mapping when it wins a poll.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:27 pm 
Registered  User

Huggybaby wrote:

What i did was, run Daphne .997 remap the keys, then copy the resulting "dainput.ini" to the directory with the newer Daphne and volia... remapped keys. :D

You wouldnt really even have to add key remapping into daphne. Perhaps just a small standalone program included to generate the input INI. And if you did add key remapping it would be nice if instead of a pulldown menu, just a box to type a key would be alot nicer. That way us people with non mame standard controler could just select the box and push the joystick up for up etc...

Just my $0.02...
-TBA-

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:10 pm 
DAPHNE Bronze Donator
DAPHNE Bronze Donator

Thanks for the cool workaround tba!

Offline Profile