It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2001 6:35 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

It has come to my attention that someone has decided to post a derivative of Digital Leisure's Dragon's Lair DVD-ROM files on a newsgroup. The person who released these files also was "nice" enough to link to Daphne's web site, which somehow implied that we were involved in this debacle. Therefore, I am publically clarifying Daphne's position.
- The DVD-ROM is a commercial product being sold RIGHT NOW. Not only that, but you can get it cheap. Someone just pointed me to a <a href="http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=479380">link</a>
where you can buy it for a paltry $10.
- Since the DVD-ROM is currently being sold, the traditional arguments of "abandonware" do not apply here. Everyone can buy the DVD-ROM right now. People who warez this product in the name of emulation or preservation (or, ironically enough, maturity, as some lamer tried to suggest) should not be given respect but instead should be scorned for the lamers that they are. $10 isn't going to kill anyone.
- Daphne has always opposed the distribution of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace mpegs for the very fact that they can be legally purchased.
- Daphne does not officially support any of Digital Leisure's products
contrary to what some have implied.
- Widespread piracy of Digital Leisure's products threatens Daphne's future, as anyone with any kind of sense should realize. I can only assume that whoever posted the DVD-ROM contents either a) has no sense or b) doesn't care about Daphne at all, or c) both. At any rate, his/her actions are not welcome.

--Matt Ownby (DAPHNE Project Coordinator)

Offline Profile