It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2001 11:38 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

I'd just give everyone an update on what daphne can and can't do as of this very second.

The public released version can play Dragon's Lair and Space Ace using Sony players or Pioneer LD-V6000 players. The other Pioneer driver is broken.

The development version (in the CVS, not yet released) can play Dragon's Lair and Space Ace pretty much perfectly. It can also play Cliff Hanger, Super Don Quix-ote and Thayer's Quest with varying degrees of success. It can use Sony, common Pioneer, or Pioneer LD-V6000 players. It can also use mpeg1 files if you have them with a highly varying degree of success.

Cliff Hanger problems:
- video overlay emulation not finished
- game sometimes stalls for no apparent reason in the middle of gameplay and disc just plays forever. This appears to happen at random times.
- Sound detection needs work.

Super Don problems:
- last I checked, the disc skips forward too late so you see a small fraction of the death scene.
- sound detection needs a small bit of work because currently the samples play multiple times

Thayer's Quest problems:
- Voice synthesizer is not emulated, so you have to know what the voice is supposed to say and how to react.
- Timing needs fixing
- I need to add decent multicpu support so we can use the cop core properly

Mpeg1 problems:
- Seeking is approximate, which is "good enough" to play cliffy or super don (they use onscreen hints when you need to make a move), but not good enough for dragon's lair, space ace, or thayer's quest.
- currently video overlay only uses the Y channel (as opposed to using YUV) so it has no color. It still looks cool though =] . There is also no scaling of video overlay at this time.

As a FYI, using an mpeg1 composed of entirely I frames for good seeking, I was able to complete Thayer's Quest the other day.

Offline Profile