It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Serious interactive movie project
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:43 pm 
Registered  User

Hi guys,

New to the site.

Im seriously considering to shoot an interactive short movie, I grew up playing FMV games on my MegaCD (Timcat Alley, Time Gal, Cobra Command, Night Trap etc).

I currently work in Sweden directing commercials and music videos, and now have the resources to make a professional production in my spare time.

So my question is if anyone here would be interested in helping out to code the project. Im already arranging meetings wiyh people here in Sweden for a DVD port (so you can play it on a regular DVD player), but would like to push the boundries in both storytelling and interactivity (think, Ground Zero Texas) and since ill be bankrolling the project myself, I (or we) can so whatever the f**k we want.

There is no commercial interest in this other than the satisfaction to do something I've dreamt of forever, and after reading some posts on this site, Im sure some to find some allies here!

check out my site:

www.molinariproductions.com

to check out what Ive done,

Please reply with ideas och suggestions!

Lets do it!

/Mauricio Molinari

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:37 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Quote:
So my question is if anyone here would be interested in helping out to code the project.

As far as coding goes..SINGE is being created to aid with coding laser-disc type interactive games for use with Daphne. There will be some scripting involved but it should be easier than coding a stand-a-lone game. Using SINGE will also have the benefit of having your project work with Daphne.

Quote:
Im already arranging meetings wiyh people here in Sweden for a DVD port (so you can play it on a regular DVD player), but would like to push the boundries in both storytelling and interactivity (think, Ground Zero Texas) and since ill be bankrolling the project myself, I (or we) can so whatever the f**k we want.

Well you won't be able to do everything you want...DVD players are not as interactive as your example (Ground Zero Texas used a controller to aim however DVD would only provide basic Functions such as Left, Right, Up, Down, Button Press - not ideal for a light-gun type game. Even the Genesis controls were less than ideal). If you want to still market it...it would be possible (I'm betting) that you could still create the game scripting in SINGE and sell your footage..so it will work with Daphne.

Judging from what I've seen of it so far...Doing interactive games (such as GZT) would be right up SINGE's alley.

Now if you were going to do a game with simplicity such as Thayer's Quest, Dragon's Layer, or other simple laser-games for DVD players I say go for it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Thanx Layer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:58 pm 
Registered  User

Thanx for the reply

Regarding the DVD players interactivety ability, you're probably right. Ill start by doing some simple LEFT,RIGHT,UP tasks like navigate through rooms "where do you wish to go next?" etc, and also add some questions like: "talk to guy?" or "arrest guy" etc. Like "Dragons Lair" mixed with "Tender Loving Care"

I've ordered som DVDs from Digital Leisure to test how games like Maddog Macree or Drug Wars work on a stand alone DVD player, I can imagine it plays pretty badly with the remote control. But I wanna know HOW bad it works. Then again, the gameplay aspect of FMV games isnĀ“t what drew me into the genre, but rather the cinematic values and getting the characters to talk to my face (like "only you can save the world, Johnny")". Just B movie fun!

Once Ive shot some tests Ill gladly share it with you guys, if anyone wants to play around with the footage. Then get some feedback on ways of improving playability, before making the "real" thing .
Take care!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:52 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Sounds like a cool idea!

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks of making a new laserdisc-styled game is having footage to use to make the game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:19 am 
Registered  User

Hi Matt,

Yeah, My hope is to get a ftp and share some material once I've shot some initial tests.

These test will be:

1. Shooting gallery test (a lot of dudes come out from behind boxes or something) with 5 or 6 dudes shooting at you (it will be the same actor multiplied). One success scene (you killed him), one death scene (you got whacked)

2. Conversation test. You will see the face of some character and get like 3 lines of dialogue to tell him/her. Depending on what you choose you will get to proceed, if you fail he/she will tell you to f**k off. Etc Etc

3. Point and klick test. I'll have a character seen in third perspective (think Lucasarts or Sierra games) and have him/her pick up objects and depending on what you pick up you will get to proceed. This will be the hardest to do videowise (like one zillions clips will be needed for all the possible movements) so I'll see how far we can push this.

-----
Maybe well do the following one also. Please give suggestions on these two, cause they might be hard to program.
-----

4. Maybe Ill do a simple Dragons Lair Style "press left or right or jump" thing, with a guy running on a "vectorstyle treadmill" (well be behind him while hes running) and he will have to dodge stuff people throw at him. This animation will be predetermined for most part, but sometimes well try branching a bit (like Space Ace).

5. Puzzle game. What games are simple enough so that they can be based on video and stills? (so we dont have to do a zillion clips)

------

Any suggestions?

Plus. If someone know of someone who has/is doing a similar project, can you post some link? Id love to learn of others successes and failures (to not make the same mistakes)

I haven't played a lot of Lasedisc games beside American Lasergames and Don Bluths. Is there any game that combines a lot of these techniques I will test in the same game? (shooting gallery AND questioning AND run+press etc.etc)

Thanx!

/M

Offline Profile  

Post subject: DVD Light Gun Games
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 pm 
Registered  User

As someone who owns all the American Laser Game DVDs, I have *no idea* how you're supposed to actually play them on a DVD player. The cursor control is so bad that I can't even imagine them being able to play test the crazy things.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:25 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Mauricio Molinari wrote:
Hi Matt,

1. Shooting gallery test

2. Conversation test.

4. Maybe Ill do a simple Dragons Lair Style "press left or right or jump"

I think these 3 would be the most realistic. A Day Of the Tentacle type game sounds too dynamic for pre-rendered footage, and I'm not sure what kind of a puzzle game you could come up with.

Most of the ALG games seem to be shooting gallery type games. Those would be pretty easy to do.

I haven't seen any laserdisc games that do the multiple conversations, but of course many of the lucas arts games allow you to say different things for funny results, and there was also a game called "Under a Killing Moon" that did something similar. The key here is to make sure that the conversations don't affect the actual outcome of the game, and are just there for humor.

And of course, the Dragon's Lair styled game would probably be the easiest because all it relies on is moves and timing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:01 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Matt,

You are probably right about those 3 being the most realsitic. Although Im still going to try out a "point-N-click" style screen, but this will be more like a superadvanced menu screen, like for example: The detectives office where you can choose to phone someone (phone), or go on a stakeout (door)or sleep(bed) or read the suspects files (files cabin) etc.

The first one Ill definetlly try is the conversation test. Itll be the easiest one to code with DVD authoriung tools, and hopefully it will get some more people interested as im gonna try and have a hot chick in it. Its gonna be a "Date Simulator" demo.

Ill keep you guys posted.

/M

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:05 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Matt,

You are probably right about those 3 being the most realsitic. Although Im still going to try out a "point-N-click" style screen, but this will be more like a superadvanced menu screen, like for example: The detectives office where you can choose to phone someone (phone), or go on a stakeout (door)or sleep(bed) or read the suspects files (files cabin) etc.

The first one Ill definetlly try is the conversation test. Itll be the easiest one to code with DVD authoriung tools, and hopefully it will get some more people interested as im gonna try and have a hot chick in it. Its gonna be a "Date Simulator" demo.

Ill keep you guys posted.

/M

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:36 pm 
Registered  User

I finally got some DVDs and cd roms i ordered.

HAHA. Maddog Mcree really plays badly/impossible with the DVD remote, especially on the levels with a moving camera. The levels where the camera is held still are almost okay, but Ill have to configure the controlls differently for my DVD project. It should be more like selecting who to shoot instead of having a completely free crossight (takes too long to skip across the screen)

I also received some CD-ROM titles like Drug Wars and Johnny Rock (by mistake, I actually ordered DVDs), and they work really good with the mouse. What software would be the easiest/best to homebrew CD-roms title like these?

Im gonna film a shooting gallery test this weekend, and start to experiment with the footage!

Wish me luck!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:57 pm 
Registered  User

I warned you that they were bad! :-)

Singe handles mouse-aiming (and mouse-emulating light guns!) very well. In fact, my test project to really exercise Singe is to make it play the five ActionMax VHS light gun titles.

Drop by the chat room and I can give you more details!

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:12 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Scott Duensing wrote:
In fact, my test project to really exercise Singe is to make it play the five ActionMax VHS light gun titles.

That would be assome. Pops Ghostly is one of the greatest if not the greatest game ever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:10 pm 
Registered  User

Hehe Mark.

Hehe. Yeah, you warned me.

I'd love to see what you code (ActionMax VHS) once you've got a finished build. Perhaps we can collaborate in some "original" productions in the future (I film and U program?).

Im getting ready for the shooting gallery test this weekend. Its going to be a bunch of guys in green costumes (Think "Captain power" crossed with a green bobsled suit) emerging from the dark and running towards the camera.
If they lazer you before you target them its byebye.

Good stuff!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:08 am 
Registered  User

I thought I was a fanboy, but Pops Ghostly the best game ever? Man, share whatever you're smoking with us! :-)

Seriously, if you want to help test, I'm going to start letting people hammer on it. Drop by the chat room and get hooked up!

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post subject: The saga begins...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:01 am 
Registered  User

www.dragoneater.com

Soon the interactive movies will return!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: http://dragonblog.dragoneater.com/
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:07 pm 
Registered  User

Hi Guys!

One of the first new interactive movies will (as everyone knows) be the cooking/fantasy adventure "Dragoneater"

check out the new blog

http://dragonblog.dragoneater.com/

to check out how it all progresses (and get some fine recipies)

Offline Profile