It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

When asking for help, make sure you are using the latest stable version of Daphne with the latest DaphneLoader. "For sale", auction, or ebay links do not belong here. Legal discussion is discouraged.

Post subject: Does Daphne save high scores?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:10 am 
Registered  User

I've been testing with version 1.0 and Astron Belt, and it doesn't preserved high scores from run to run. Is there a way to do this? There's a command line option that implies that Daphne will save high scores, but I can't get it to work with or without the command line option.

"-sram_continuous_update Saves the static RAM after every search so that if Daphne is terminated improperly, high scores are preserved. "

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Some game drivers do preserve high scores, but some don't (apparently Astron is one of the ones that doesn't). Daphne has support to save RAM regions for any emulated game, but the developer needs to tell Daphne which memory regions need to be saved, and apparently no one has bothered to do this for Astron Belt. Maybe you can get lucky and find a developer who has a need for Astron Belt to save high scores. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:28 am 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
Some game drivers do preserve high scores, but some don't (apparently Astron is one of the ones that doesn't). Daphne has support to save RAM regions for any emulated game, but the developer needs to tell Daphne which memory regions need to be saved, and apparently no one has bothered to do this for Astron Belt. Maybe you can get lucky and find a developer who has a need for Astron Belt to save high scores. :)

Bummerouski. Oh well. Thanks for the info, at least I can stop trying to find a way to enable it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:22 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

Isucamper, we meet again! We seem to be tackling the same issues on our respective cabs! 8)

Matt, can you please note which games *do* keep high scores, or point me to a list?

Thank you very much,
-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:51 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

jasonbar wrote:
Matt, can you please note which games *do* keep high scores, or point me to a list?

I don't remember, nor do I have a list, but there is an easy way for you to find out.
Just run each game and if high scores are saved, it will put a *.gz file inside the 'ram' folder. For example, Cliff Hanger will do this. I think Dragon's Lair 2 does too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:08 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

jasonbar, if you do make that list, I'd encourage you to add it to the wiki. That would be a great addition!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
jasonbar, if you do make that list, I'd encourage you to add it to the wiki. That would be a great addition!

I've verified that the games that support high score saves are:

Cliffhanger
Esh's Aurunmilla
Dragon's Lair 2
Mach 3
Us Vs. Them

I took a look at adding this to the wiki, but all the pages appear to be locked (I've never edited a wiki before, I might be doing something wrong).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:50 am 
DAPHNE Silver Donator
DAPHNE Silver Donator

You beat me to it, isucamper, but I do hereby confirm that your list is accurate. :]

-Jason

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Just as point of implementation... the games listed have some sort of NVRAM if I recall correctly and that is the region that gets backed up.

Games usually have memory initialization code that gets run on boot, and that would clean out any old high scores on the ones without NVRAM. To preserve them, not only would you have to back up the region of ram that contains them, but you'd have to restore the ram AFTER the memory initialization, which of course the conditions to detect that this has completed vary from game to game.

Offline Profile