It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Firefox won't talk to the Dexter at all
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 pm 
Registered  User

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Dexter and my Firefox. I have 3 working Firefox boardsets and they all do the same thing. There is a large black bar that runs vertically from right to left and the Dexter just plays Firefox straight through (as if the disc were just playing straight through) There is no sync'ing. It's like my Firefox doesn't even read the Dexter. I had a similar issue with LaserAce, and the LaserAce would never sync with the Firefox boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dexter+Firefox issues thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

laser rot wrote:
Hello,

I am having an issue with my Dexter and my Firefox. I have 3 working Firefox boardsets and they all do the same thing. There is a large black bar that runs vertically from right to left and the Dexter just plays Firefox straight through (as if the disc were just playing straight through) There is no sync'ing. It's like my Firefox doesn't even read the Dexter. I had a similar issue with LaserAce, and the LaserAce would never sync with the Firefox boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Hmm, I don't know what would cause that specific symptom. Can you post a picture or video?

I would start here:

- Can you confim that Dexter is set to VP-931 mode? (the LED labeled VP-931 should be lit)
- What happens when you power up the game with Dexter completely disconnected? It should show the text overlay, and let you coin up and "play" a game. If this isn't happening, then there's a power/wiring/boardset problem for sure.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Firefox won't talk to the Dexter at all
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:49 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

laser rot wrote:
I am having an issue with my Dexter and my Firefox. I have 3 working Firefox boardsets and they all do the same thing.

This may sound bad, but how do you know that they are 100% working? If they are having the same problem with both Dexter and LaserAce, that kinda suggests that the problem is not with Dexter or LaserAce.

For example, have you checked to see what the IC that outputs to the laserdisc player is doing? According to the schematics at http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... Rev2_s.pdf (pages 20 and 21 in the PDF), there is an LS374 at 6H that is responsible for sending commands to the laserdisc player. Is this outputting the proper commands? There is an IC at 7H that is responsible for reading responses from the player. Is this reading the response properly? Is the LS244 at 7J reading the DAV, DAK, and OPR signals properly? These are all things that could be bad that would cause the game to not communicate with the laserdisc player properly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:16 pm 
Registered  User

Hello,

Thank you Matt and Warren for trying to help me get my Firefox going. All Firefox boards that I have coin up, Clint says "Boy is this a machine" and I can play the game fine. I will certainly check the IC's that you mentioned Matt. Once again, thank you for all of the help in trying to get my Firefox going.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:45 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Seems like we're pretty sure the devices on both ends are working, so maybe it's a problem in-between. Once you're airborne, you'll have TWO objectives. Er, I mean, here are two suggestions:

- Check for broken wires on the laserdisc player connector. If you can check them for continuity to the main PCB connector, that's even better.
- Try removing the RF shield board and plugging the cabinet harness directly into the game board stack. (On mine, some of the video connections don't work unless I press against the RF shield connections to the game boards, so I just removed it for now.)

Good luck!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:27 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Any luck with this? If it's still not working, can you post a video of what you are seeing on screen?

Offline Profile