It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No need to make footage... we have two series begging to be.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:14 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone remember the old dragon's lair cartoon show? Remember it even had three possible endings at the end of each commercial break. All it needs is an engine and we have dragon's lair 1 3/4. ;)

Also remember the Captain Power show? It was intended to be played with those goofy little starship toys, but it could be converted to light-gun style games quite easily.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:27 am 
Registered  User

Yesssssssssssssssssss! I remember it perfectly and i am sure that somewhere in my vhs collection i have one or two episodes.
I've never understood why they called Dirk John, but the toon was very funny.
And yes, maybe it could be a good source to make lasergames.....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:46 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I'm wondering if you can get the episodes on dvd (everything else has been ported to it) A person wouldn't need alot of footage as the original dragons lair game didn't have anymore than about 20 minutes of video. If the whole season was available we could simply take the "cliffhanger" portions of each episode and use them. Since it usually showed 3 choices and he died in at least one of them, it would be perfect.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:43 am 
Registered  User

Talk about luck. There is this channel called Boomerang, owned by Cartoon Network, and they are airing DL every Sunday 3 times per day. So far, I have the 1st 3 episodes all recorded on my portable DVCam deck. When I get all of them, I can upload the MPEGs to whomever wants to work on this. Only downside is it has the Boomerang B in the bottom left hand corner. Other than that, these things are perfect.

Sidenote - They also are playing some other Boomerang Cartoon show which has the Space Ace cartoons in it. I didn't grab those unfortunately though. They may re-air once they are all done.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:38 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Sweet! I'm going to have to start watching boomerang. :) When you get the whole season let me know and I'll get a few to start building an engine. I already have a test one but without the source video it's hard to do anything more than a simple framework. All this will take is some timers and creative editing and we'll have a full-fledged game!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:09 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

anyone out there with a Tivo? The best way to archive them would be to record them on a Tivo at the highest resolution, and then rip out the mpeg files via Tivonet or the like.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:43 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
anyone out there with a Tivo? The best way to archive them would be to record them on a Tivo at the highest resolution, and then rip out the mpeg files via Tivonet or the like.

Well, the way I'm archiving them is straight from my DirecTv to a $2600.00 DVCam industrial deck. The only loss in quality I have had was in the first episode where I had some pixellation due to congestion on the network. Figure I lost about 20 frames of video. BTW, I work in the Film/Video industry, so quality is of the utmost importance to me :D I've so far gotten the first 3 episodes, and figure I should have them all done within 10 weeks or so, as there were 13 episodes according to one list I've seen.

On a sidenote, I've also been grabbing GI Joe off the cartoon network, that might be a good game to use footage from except there were never any death scenes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:03 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

dek wrote:
On a sidenote, I've also been grabbing GI Joe off the cartoon network, that might be a good game to use footage from except there were never any death scenes.

Well, no one actually *died*, but there are plenty of scenes of vehicles blowing up and stuff. =)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:07 am 
Registered  User

chip wrote:
dek wrote:

Well, no one actually *died*, but there are plenty of scenes of vehicles blowing up and stuff. =)

Very true. By the time I am done, I should have about 80 or so of the episodes with tons of footage :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:51 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Since your going capture crazy why don't you try to get the old transformers show. Remember they actually did blow up a lot and merely rebuilt themselves in those glass chamber thingies. So there's your death scene and rebirth scene. Plus there are a lot of scenes with them racing down the highway, which would be good for some cliffhanger style scenes. If I remember correcly there were even one or two dogfight scenes. (It frightens me that I remember all of this.)

This is gonna be fun guys.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:57 pm 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:
Since your going capture crazy why don't you try to get the old transformers show. Remember they actually did blow up a lot and merely rebuilt themselves in those glass chamber thingies. So there's your death scene and rebirth scene. Plus there are a lot of scenes with them racing down the highway, which would be good for some cliffhanger style scenes. If I remember correcly there were even one or two dogfight scenes. (It frightens me that I remember all of this.)

This is gonna be fun guys.

Only problem is, they aren't re-airing them. I could grab from the DVD set of Season 1, and hope they release the other seasons.

I also heard Cartoon Network may soon start airing Thundercats, I will be grabbing those as well :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:31 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

That sucks. There is also a new transformers anime show that's on fox, but I'll be the first to say that it really sucks. It's from bandai and thus they tried to make it as much like digimon and power rangers as possible. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:05 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

dek wrote:
chip wrote:

Well, the way I'm archiving them is straight from my DirecTv to a $2600.00 DVCam industrial deck. The only loss in quality I have had was in the first episode where I had some pixellation due to congestion on the network. Figure I lost about 20 frames of video. BTW, I work in the Film/Video industry, so quality is of the utmost importance to me :D I've so far gotten the first 3 episodes, and figure I should have them all done within 10 weeks or so, as there were 13 episodes according to one list I've seen.

Yes!!! GI Joe!!! hehe ...

I have some transformers episodes recorded on VHS tape (blah) from when they were originally aired hehe. The quality, I'm sure, is horrible.

Thundercats.. I loved that show!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:17 pm 
Registered  User

In fact we could make tons of new lasergames, i have all the episodes of Hokuto no ken (ken il guerriero in italian, the fist of the north star in english), there are a lot of deaths and fighting scenes.......
If someone will program a stable and easy-to-adapt engine everyone can make a lasergame from his favorite series...
:D :D :D :D :D
Damon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:25 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Matt Ownby wrote:
Thundercats.. I loved that show!

Thndercats! I have 6 hours I recorded on VHS back in the day. Plus, I have a separate tape of the original story... I think it was the first 4 or 5 episodes or something like that. With transformers and GI Joe on dvd, I'm sure Thundercats will be coming soon. HO!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:43 am 
Registered  User

Ok, here's a rough timeline of when I think I will have the majority of everything :

Dragons Lair - 10 episodes left to grab, so 10 weeks

GI Joe - They air 4 episodes a week, but there is a ton for the whole series. Season 1 had 50 episodes, Season 2 had 25 eps, and there were 4 mini-series that had 5 parts each, plus the movie. I figure in about 2 months I should have about 50 of the episodes and a huge chunk of footage for use. They aren't airing them in any season order though, Hasbro is airing them all out of whack so they can get the best marketing out of them (Like that will happen with a 1am time slot)

Transformers - I have all the episodes on VCD, but they are crap quality. I'm going to hit 2 blockbusters and a Hollywood Video tonight to see if they carry the Season 1 set, if they do, I'll have the 1st 16 episodes by the end of the week. If not, I'll have to figure out a way to get the set. Season 2 set I found out is being released in September so there is another 40 or so episodes.

Thundercats - Have to wait for the re-airs, who knows on that.

I've also seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the newsgroups, but then again, the quality probably isn't that very good.

New Computer - My old one bit the dust recently, so I'm in the market for a new one. Hopefully I will have one by the end of the weekend :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: No need to make footage... we have two series begging to
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:55 pm 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:

Also remember the Captain Power show? It was intended to be played with those goofy little starship toys, but it could be converted to light-gun style games quite easily.

Also, just found a site that has all the episodes archived to DVD. Think I just might pony up the 25 they want for the DVD :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:49 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

This is great guys, Im glad so many people are interested in this. I've been experimenting with different overlay techniques. I've been trying to find one that is ati friendly and still very quick. So far I'm having about a 50/50 success rate. Guess it's time to try out directX and opengl techniques.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:54 am 
Registered  User

Almost got a computer tonight, but they were out of stock. Tomorrow morning hopefully :)

I also have access to the SW Trilogy Laserdiscs, I could encode those and have that footage as well. As long as the dead ewok scene gets replayed numerous times :D

Once I get the computer up and running, I'll try encoding the 3 episodes of DL I have and the 4th one on Sunday after it airs. I can up them(firewall issues at work won't allow me to have a FTP) to a FTP on Sunday night when I get into work 11pm PST-8AM PST

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:40 am 
Registered  User

dek,

I would be interested in these caps.

Thanks!

Dragul[a]

Last edited by Dragul[a] on Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:10 am 
Registered  User

Ok, sorry about the late replys, daughter got sick, tons of family issues at home, etc etc etc :o . About the only bright spot last week was I got the new computer :D

Anyways, I'm using Premiere 6.0 and when I try to encode off my DVCam deck, the only input I can use is the DV NTSC Standard 32 or 48KHZ or Widescreen 32 or 48 KHZ. Its not letting me use the NTSC 720X480 Video For Windows, as it isn't recognizing the video in for some reason. So my dilemma is this, I can encode the files, did the 1st 2 already in less than 45 minutes, but they come out as AVI's and not the greatest quality although the file size is huge 4.5 gig for 1 episode :eek:. My source tape is great, 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, the output is ok, probably a 5.5 or 6 on a 1 to 10. If anyone is fluent in Premiere and can help me out, I can get the 1st 4 eps of DL out as soon as I get them done. Or, I can rar up this 1st episode, and upload it to a FTP and maybe it looks better on someone elses computer? Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

-edit- Forgot the specs of the comp if that helps

• 2.53 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
• 533 MHz system bus
• 512 kB L2 cache memory
• 512 MB 266 MHz DDR SDRAM
• Two 80.0GB Ultra ATA 100 (7200 rpm) hard drives
• DVD-ROM 16x drive
• DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
• 128 MB DDR GeForce4 - Ti4200 video card
• Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 audio card

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:07 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I have a DV cam (not deck) hooked up to my PC but it uses the same interface. Is your firewire connection recognized by your pc? You should see "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" in the device manager. My driver is the generic "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" but it works fine for Premiere.

By the way, that's an incredibly nice setup!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:34 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

dek.... im not real good with premire but i know a little.

First thing you need is the digital video update from windows update. it adds a lot of additional codecs and screen sizes to premire. Secondly a lot of those modes you mentioned are available in the project setup menu under the capture options. Also although I'm sure you know this, the best format for those files would be mpeg2 if at all possible or mpeg1 if not. Raw avi files are huge. ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:39 am 
Registered  User

Ok, I got the 1st ep into MPEG 2. Someone set up a FTP and I will upload it. I will be at work Monday from 2AM PST to 10:30 AM PST so I can UL then.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:04 am 
Registered  User

dek,

please email me at knicolet at swbell.net (spelled out to prevent spam) for ftp account info.

Dragul[a]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:55 pm 
Registered  User

Dek has started uploading some encodes of the first episode, and I thought I would share my thoughts.

The video Dek has uploaded is MPEG2, 480x480, 29.97 fps, interlaced. The quality is very good (and I'm sure the DV source is even better). The shows could definately be worked into a game, though in my opinion the "length of video per move" ratio would be much higher than we're used to. :)

In other words you would watch a scene build up for a long time, compared to real LD arcade games, before you were required to make a move. Maybe someone has some ideas to make this more "arcade-like".

I think the way to proceed would be along these lines:

1) Distribute a lower quality copy of the shows to everyone on the project. DivX or some other high-compression format.

2) Discuss / decide on a rough edit - which scenes are to be used, the order, etc. There were two times in the first episode alone where you were asked as the viewer to choose your path, and the consequences of each decision were shown, with Dirk getting killed for the wrong choice(s), albeit in a very “kid-friendly” manner. These are ideal candidates for a game, but there could be others as well.

3) Edit the DV source video, output the final (640x480 MPEG2 non-interlaced?) game video. Since you could do non-linear editing with the DV source without quality loss, you would want to have the original DV for the edit, re-encoding to MPEG2 as the final step. Other editing maybe in order as well: we may want to add screen flashes or something similar to notify the player when action is required.

4) Build an engine to run the game.

So my question is - who's interested in being on the project?

Dragul[a]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:43 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I'm all for it obviously. :D

I see one slight problem with your plan though..... I'm not positive on this, but different video formats will have different framerates and highly compressed formats might omit a frame. It would be best to make action times based on frame numbers. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:05 am 
Registered  User

Dragul[a] wrote:

The video Dek has uploaded is MPEG2, 480x480, 29.97 fps, interlaced. The quality is very good (and I'm sure the DV source is even better). The shows could definately be worked into a game, though in my opinion the "length of video per move" ratio would be much higher than we're used to. :)

In other words you would watch a scene build up for a long time, compared to real LD arcade games, before you were required to make a move. Maybe someone has some ideas to make this more "arcade-like".

Ok, thanks for the quality assuarance. I'm looking at the source, and the monitor, and I thought the output was not up to par.

Re: Scene Buildup - This was one of my main concerns, in one episode alone there are maybe 4 to 8 game movements over a 22 minute span. These would have to be cut out and somehow edited into a game format to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
1) Distribute a lower quality copy of the shows to everyone on the project. DivX or some other high-compression format.

2) Discuss / decide on a rough edit - which scenes are to be used, the order, etc. There were two times in the first episode alone where you were asked as the viewer to choose your path, and the consequences of each decision were shown, with Dirk getting killed for the wrong choice(s), albeit in a very “kid-friendly” manner. These are ideal candidates for a game, but there could be others as well.

3) Edit the DV source video, output the final (640x480 MPEG2 non-interlaced?) game video. Since you could do non-linear editing with the DV source without quality loss, you would want to have the original DV for the edit, re-encoding to MPEG2 as the final step. Other editing maybe in order as well: we may want to add screen flashes or something similar to notify the player when action is required.

4) Build an engine to run the game.

So my question is - who's interested in being on the project?

Dragul[a]

What I can do is this, I can do Time Code window burns to VHS for anyone who is helping with the project. From there you'd log the time code from point a to point b and post it or email me, editing is simple, I do it at work all day. Once I have all 13 episodes, 8 weeks left, we can determine the final edits/whatnot and I can do this at work with the original DVCam tapes. Then I bring it home, encode it, upload it, then someone else will have to make the engine.

I also have 12 of the GI Joe Episodes I've been grabbing off Cartoon Network every night. There are 20 episodes they are airing, so this may be enough source material if anyone is interested. Hopefully they continue to air it (Test runs).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:57 pm 
Registered  User

HowardC wrote:
I see one slight problem with your plan though..... I'm not positive on this, but different video formats will have different framerates and highly compressed formats might omit a frame. It would be best to make action times based on frame numbers. Anyone else have a thought on this?

You're right. I was thinking we could just talk about the scenes and let the editor make frame-level decisions, but your way would probably avoid a lot of confusion :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:16 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

dek wrote:

Ok, thanks for the quality assuarance. I'm looking at the source, and the monitor, and I thought the output was not up to par.

--snip--

I also have 12 of the GI Joe Episodes I've been grabbing off Cartoon Network every night. There are 20 episodes they are airing, so this may be enough source material if anyone is interested. Hopefully they continue to air it (Test runs).

I am wondering about the 480x480 ... is there no better quality to be had by a higher resolution? (like the ubiquitous 720x480 hehe)

GI Joe! yes, very cool! That would definitely bring back some memories, playing a GI Joe styled laserdisc game.

Offline Profile