It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebel Assault I and II (warning: crazy thoughts ahead)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:21 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Since I'm heavily addicted to Daphne these days, I suddenly remembered of those two old Star Wars games, and I realized that they were some kind of clone of Astron Belt and/or Cobra Command :)

(I think they are mainly Cobra Command clones, but Rebel Assault II also reminded me of Astron Belt because on the first level, your companion spaceship is pre-rendered but its shots are not )

So I guess they could be considered a sort of laser-disc-game made directly on PC.

I was wondering, though...
Both the games used a pre-rendered footage for the background of the various shooting levels, but they also used to scroll the video a bit (the offset was changed according to how you moved the joystick) so that you had a sort of feeling of actually controlling the ship.

I can't remember where I read this, nor I can find the site anymore, but if I correctly understood, Star Rider had the ability to shift horizontally the video according to the steering of the "car". If this is true, could I say that the Rebel Assault series borrowed from Cobra Command and also from Star Rider? :)

(I'm also wondering how these two games would look in a Daphne/MAME cab, hehehe)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:25 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Yes, Rebel Assault, I remember that game!! it did have pre-rendered background animation but it still looked amazing for a 486 :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:56 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, exactly, all you needed was a 486, 4 Mb of RAM, any Soundblaster card and a 1x CD-ROM drive :)

My Rebel Assault box says "(C) 1993", and now this game confirms me how good the LucasArts programmers were at the time.. I just loaded it up again after nine years, using WinME (in a DOS box, not pure DOS! ARGH!) and a stupid on-board soundcard (among the other things), and it still WORKS, even with sound! I was able to complete it! Simply amazing :)

Anyway... what about the Star Rider bit of my initial post? Is it true what I said, or is it complete BS? :)

PS: I also found other lasergame-type games in my old collection: Cyberia, Cyberia II and even Megarace II...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:25 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

JJFlash wrote:
Anyway... what about the Star Rider bit of my initial post? Is it true what I said, or is it complete BS? :)

Yes, you're right. Star rider's video did shift when you turned the handles.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:35 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Heh... Rebel Assault is the reason I gave up my Mac for a 486. X-Wing was hard to resist by itself, but when both X-Wing and Rebel Assault were on the shelf and I couldn't play either... well, that clinched it.

My 486 is still up and running on a KVM switch... specifically so I can play old DOS games. I think Day of the Tentacle has got to be my favorite. <sigh> LucasArts ruled back then.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:30 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ownby wrote:
Yes, you're right. Star rider's video did shift when you turned the handles.

Oh wow, so that's another reason why I won't see Star Rider emulated for a long time (maybe forever), I guess :)

chip wrote:
My 486 is still up and running on a KVM switch...

Hm, I didn't know what a KVM switch was, I did a very quick search on Google, and so I learned another thing :)

chip wrote:
I think Day of the Tentacle has got to be my favorite.

I feel like I could... like I could...

And what about Full Throttle? By the way, the other day I accidentally discovered that Full Throttle II is coming out in the next year....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:02 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

JJFlash wrote:
And what about Full Throttle? By the way, the other day I accidentally discovered that Full Throttle II is coming out in the next year....

I saw the full throttle ][ trailer at E3... I dunno... I'm excited for it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Lucasarts of today just isn't the same as Lucasarts of yesterday. I mean, Tim Shaeffer isn't even working there anymore, and they're doing his games without him. And, I mean, it really showed with the latest Monkey Island. So, I'm not expecting much from this sequel. But, if it turns out to be good, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:39 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

chip wrote:
I saw the full throttle ][ trailer at E3... I dunno... I'm excited for it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Lucasarts of today just isn't the same as Lucasarts of yesterday. I mean, Tim Shaeffer isn't even working there anymore, and they're doing his games without him. And, I mean, it really showed with the latest Monkey Island. So, I'm not expecting much from this sequel. But, if it turns out to be good, then I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

haha full throttle!!

"Some joker took my keys. I don't like that."

"That trucker's gonna die for what he did."

"Now it's just me and the bunnies."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:31 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ownby wrote:
haha full throttle!! "Some joker took my keys. I don't like that."

hahaha, that quote is a favourite of mine as well :)

I couldn't believe it when I saw Mark Hamill in the ending credits! He was the voice of the bad guy in the limousine, right? (I forgot the names of the characters... :cry: )

I also bought the audio CD they took the music from! I had a hard time to do it, it was 1995, there was no wide access to the Internet back then, and I waited three months for the album to arrive after I ordered it in a music shop, but it was worth it! :D (The guy said that CD was only available in the United States...)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:40 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

JJFlash wrote:
I couldn't believe it when I saw Mark Hamill in the ending credits! He was the voice of the bad guy in the limousine, right? (I forgot the names of the characters... :cry: )

Ripburger!!!

Yeah Mark Hamill has done a lot of voice acting for games/cartoons. Not only was he Ripburger in Full Throttle, but he was also two other guys. One of them was Emmett (sp?) and the other was .. I think ... the guy who gets knocked out when you kick down his door.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Ripburger!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:06 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Yes!! Ripburger! Now I remember :)

I don't remember Emmett, neither the other guy... :(

I'm going to play Full Throttle again as soon as I can...!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ripburger!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:32 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

JJFlash wrote:
Yes!! Ripburger! Now I remember :)

I don't remember Emmett, neither the other guy... :(

I'm going to play Full Throttle again as soon as I can...!!!

Emmett was the guy who was playing with the knife in the bar. And you keep saying to him "Lemme show you how to do that." hahaha

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Okay guys, enough of the crazy nostalgia trip!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:12 pm 
Registered  User

You're making me wish I hadn't chucked my Dell 4/33. (I've got a p90 chip around here somewhere and an old AT machine, probably would all run on that.)

My favorite nostalgia game: Crusader: No Remorse

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:16 pm 
Registered  User

You know what else would look good on your face?

>WHUMP<

The bar.

Bit of sad news via PC Gamer - the voice actor who played Ben passed away last year. Most of the original voice actors will return for FT2 but Ben will have to be recast.

If you're hankering for some old Lucasarts games be sure to check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm/ .

Spyrochaete
http://hyppy.zapto.org

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:13 am 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Spyrochaete wrote:
the voice actor who played Ben passed away last year. Most of the original voice actors will return for FT2 but Ben will have to be recast.

well that is awful! Ben's voice _was_ that game! They can't make a sequel without him ...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Interesting Rebel Assult Fact
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:35 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

When Rebel Assult for Mac was released, it was written in all 68000 code. However, Aaron Giles (now a MAMEdev and a developer at Microsoft), noticed the game ran real slow on his PowerMac (new at that time), because it used a PowerPC chip, and ran all the code in emulation.

So, Aaron wrote a hack that would speed up the game on PowerMacs, by essentially rewriting its blitter loops in PowerPC Assembly. Then, he put through a patching utility and put it online for people to share.

LucasArts was very upset, and later they were deciding wether to sue Aaron or to hire him. They ended up hiring him as their Mac Porter, and he worked there for a few years.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:09 pm 
Registered  User

i found my RA 1 & 2 disks the other day....memories......like everyone said great games far ahead of there time as well compared to some of the other crap that was released........and to think it played on my 486 sx 25 with 8 meg ram and a trident 1 meg graphics card if i rember right..hehehe

you cant beat simple shoot em up game play imo :)

Offline Profile