It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Space Ace Enhanced beeps 8 times after pressing start...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:37 pm 
Registered  User

Hello, Space Ace Enhanced beeps 8 times after I press start; is this normal? If not, what might be wrong? I have not tried using other ROMs.

Thanks,

David

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Ace Enhanced beeps 8 times after pressing start...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:23 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Catware wrote:
I have not tried using other ROMs.

try them and let us know what happens...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:29 pm 
Registered  User

Okay, I still have not tried other ROMs. However, the problem disappears when I manually select a skill level prior to starting the emulator. When I leave the skill setting on "Normal - select via panel buttons" the emulator beeps 8 times before starting a game.

I want to thank all the developers for an excellent job. I have Daphne running very nicely on my Mame arcade cabinet with an ArcadeVGA card, 19" arcade monitor (rotatable), 1GHz P3, 256MB RAM, Win2k, and selected via MameWAH front end. It took some tinkering but it runs quite smoothly with no frame drops. Incidentally, for Mame, a low res arcade monitor is *highly* recommended.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:06 pm 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Catware wrote:
...problem disappears when I manually select a skill level prior to starting the emulator. When I leave the skill setting on "Normal - select via panel buttons" the emulator beeps 8 times before starting a game.

Oh, *those* beeps... that's not *before* you start a game, that's *immediately after* you start a game. And yes, that's normal. That's when you are supposed to select your skill level. In the arcade, the skill buttons (on the conversion) or the annunciator board (dedicated) would flash to let you know to choose a skill. If you don't press anything after 8 beeps, it defaults to cadet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:28 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

During the beeps, you can press a key to choose the skill level for the game. The default keys are:

Numpad / = Cadet
Numpad * = Captain
Numpad - = Ace

(If you don't make a selection, you get Cadet by default.)

If you are using Win2000 or XP, you can get the "full effect" by enabling the "Keybd LEDs show skill" option. The LEDs will flash during the beeps. One of them will stay lit to show the selected skill level during the game.

Num Lock = Cadet
Caps Lock = Captain
Scroll Lock = Ace

Hmm, maybe I should add this to the documentation Wiki... :D

-Warren.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:33 pm 
Registered  User

Warren,

Adding that to the documentation would be good! :) I looked through the documentation and did a comprehensive search on this board and couldn't find the answer. I thought the emulator was operating incorrectly. (Having a slate screen that comes up saying "Please select skill level" would be ideal). Thanks for the help!

Dave

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:49 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Out of curiosity I did a search and found that this has been discussed before, about two years ago. I didn't realize that I've been running this forum for that long :)

https://www.daphne-emu.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=249

Catware wrote:
(Having a slate screen that comes up saying "Please select skill level" would be ideal).

That would violate the purpose of Daphne (to emulate the original game).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:16 pm 
Registered  User

Matt Ownby wrote:
(Having a slate screen that comes up saying "Please select skill level" would be ideal).

That would violate the purpose of Daphne (to emulate the original game).

I was thinking more of Dave Hallock making the change to his Enhanced version :wink: I must admit, I do prefer SAE over the original ROMs. There are a number of slates that flash by when the emulator starts, if one of them was related to skill level, that would be ideal.

Anyway, thanks once more for your great work!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:54 am 
DAPHNE Team
DAPHNE Team

Catware wrote:
I was thinking more of Dave Hallock making the change to his Enhanced version...There are a number of slates that flash by when the emulator starts, if one of them was related to skill level, that would be ideal.

It can't be done. The laserdiscs were pressed back in 1983, and there is no slate on them that relates to skill level. You can't add a slate to an existing laserdisc. Remember, SAE was created for original hardware. Daphne just emulates it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Space Ace Enhanced beeps 8 times after pressing start...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:06 pm 
Dragon's Lair Project Staff
Dragon's Lair Project Staff

chip is correct... using the SA laserdisc alone to communicate information about the skill level buttons is not possible. If you were standing at SA arcade game, and you saw the skill level lights flashing during the 8 beeps, you might be more likely to understand the beeps' helpfulness as a prompt to choose one of the skill buttons. These days, I believe that Daphne flashes the keyboard lights as the skill levels are supposed to flash, so you can get the gist of it from that. But yes, without any consideration for the potential of these beeps to cause confusion outside of an arcade setting, Daphne is only emulating the arcade hardware, as it should. I must imagine that the reason there is no information about the skill levels on the SA laserdisc could possibly be that the concept of skill levels might have not been developed until after the SA laserdiscs were already made. But who knows, because the 1983 SA laserdiscs don't even have ANY proper, general playing instructions recorded on them to display!!

Offline Profile