It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I make a Demo Game?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:57 am 
Registered  User

Hi. I know some people who are interested in creating an original FMV game, but they're not totally convinced it will be worth it. So I want to create a demo to persuade them. To do so, I was thinking about using footage from a familiar television show. How would I go about making usable clips from DVDs? What (free?) pc software do I need? Once I have the different scenes as movie files, then what do I do? Should I use Click Factory? Or does anybody have a free engine and script templates? Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:18 pm 
Registered  User

OK. I learned how to extract clips from DVDs. Now that I have my mpeg scenes prepared, I'd like to do the coding so I could have a demo game. Anybody know how I could edit Daphne for a simple game? I read that seektest.cpp(?) is the script you gotta edit. Can anybody expand on that? Any tutorials available for it? Or does anybody have any different scripting programs, like the VB one mentioned in another post? Any help will be much appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:09 pm 
DAPHNE Creator
DAPHNE Creator

Unfortunately in order to make your own game, you'll need to already be pretty comfortable with C++ . There has been talk of making a game script but that hasn't happened.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:14 am 
Registered  User

I am kinda familiar with C and scripting languages such as Inform and AGI. How difficult could it be to program a game like DL? Unlike other genres, LD games, for the most part, follow the same pattern (the exceptions being, like, Night Trap and Ground Zero). Isn't it just coding the scenes when the player has to do the correct move -- if he does, he proceeds to the next obstacle, and if he doesn't he dies. Isn't that simple coding? Would anybody be willing to write a quick sample of the coding needed to make a demo -- it could be just one scene -- and then tell how to compile it, as well as any loose-ends you'd need to do for it work successfully. I'm just dying to make a quick demo to show my friends, and hopefully it would give me the knowledge needed to make an original game. THANKS!!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:33 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Well I've got one in the works, but I don't see it being finished anytime soon. The main reason is lack of motivation. Daphne is quickly closing the gap on unemulated ld games. Those that daphne doesn't support are usually ALG games, which at the present time all available at digital leisure.

I've looked into original content and unfortuantely, unless footage is specifically made to make a laser game it's pretty darn hard to make a *good* one. I even have a few episodes of the old captain power tv show, but as that show didn't register feedback in the footage (no death scenes) it'd take a very talented editor to make a nice game out of it.

Long story short, somebody should go ahead and make a game video-wise and then one of us programmer types can step in and make the exe/script/whatever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:07 pm 
Registered  User

i have finished my first experiment (do u rember my project based on ufo robot grendizer?)!!i'm very proud of it :D
i'm on dc++ server guitarlover.kicks-ass.org (is this a spam?)actually is the only way for me to share my little creature whit all of u guyz ^_^
serching for the grendizer folder (i dunno if my standalone version needs tgf to be played -.- my english is too bad than before..i'm sorry lol)
see u soon (i'm not able to write a tutorial in english maybe someone can contact me and help me to translate my work i know there are other italian guyz here pliz if ure interested contact me)bye again

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Games Factory Help!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:10 am 
Registered  User

Hi...I downloaded the trial demo for The Games Factory. Now I know I can program an FMV game with this engine, but I have a BIG problem. How do I insert MPEGs (the video clips). The website says you can do this, but they don't say how. Does the demo not include this option or something?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:00 pm 
Registered  User

try this:
create a new level
editor level
create object
multimedia
mpeg

tgf works also whit avi quicktime flc mpg cd audio mci picture

(this is a short example to start your work)

i don't know about the restrictions of tgf demo version...but if u don't create a level u can't create a level object like mpeg or space ship or something else ;-)
at this point i think that is time for me to write a tutorial.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm 
Registered  User

i added the arrows and the fire button like super don quix ote to show the right move at the right time ;-) unfortunately i can't put these object in overlay mode but is not important ^_^

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Message to KScott84....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:51 pm 
Registered  User

Hello, fellow gamer. I am very interested in someone making a "Dragon's Lair-type" game for TGF & I also happen to have a full version of the TGF. Actually, you just need the registration code & I am willing to give that up to you for research & also completing this game you are hoping to make. Post your e-mail address & I will send it to you. (If that's ok with the forum rules, that is.)
And keep us up to date on the status of the game,ok? Allright. Laters

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:52 pm 
Registered  User

Hey,

Actually, I just got the home version of TGF yesterday. I'm working on a demo game and I think it's gonna be great (I'll post a link to it when I'm done). TGF seems very user-friendly, but since I just started using it, I have I have some questions, for those who have worked with this engine.

1. When the room changes (in my case -- the video changes to either the right path or the death scene) there is a quick flash of white. It's not too annoying, but could that flash be eliminated? Or at least changed to the color black.

2. How do you make overlays? Is it just putting objects on the level? I tried doing it, but the text/pictures won't appear over the mpeg video. How do I fix that?

3. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm curious. Is it possible to make a game like Night Trap with TGF? How would you go about implementing it? (here's a random pic i found on the 'net of NT -- http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/3do/nighttrap_5.jpg )

THANKS!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Teaser?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:01 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

KScott, do we get a teaser? ;)
This looks like a nifty little program.. I'll have to see if I can
get something working in here also.
I've always got some wierd ideas...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:40 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

andrea wrote:
at this point i think that is time for me to write a tutorial.

A video tutorial... yes yes yes!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:57 pm 
Registered  User

KScott84 wrote:
Hey,

Actually, I just got the home version of TGF yesterday. I'm working on a demo game and I think it's gonna be great (I'll post a link to it when I'm done). TGF seems very user-friendly, but since I just started using it, I have I have some questions, for those who have worked with this engine.

1. When the room changes (in my case -- the video changes to either the right path or the death scene) there is a quick flash of white. It's not too annoying, but could that flash be eliminated? Or at least changed to the color black.

2. How do you make overlays? Is it just putting objects on the level? I tried doing it, but the text/pictures won't appear over the mpeg video. How do I fix that?

3. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm curious. Is it possible to make a game like Night Trap with TGF? How would you go about implementing it? (here's a random pic i found on the 'net of NT -- http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/3do/nighttrap_5.jpg )

THANKS!

1 i'm working with a mpeg file modified by myself using videostudio9 (pinnacle) the death scenes are in the end of this video file and i don't have seen any flash during the scenes change. so rem. that i'm not working with 2 or more movies...i'm working with just one movie (one mpeg file)

2 i'm not able to make overlay.i think that is not possible (read the tgf tutorial or help)

3 i dunno what night trap is

(i hope u understand my bad english)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:07 pm 
Registered  User

this is just an example of my work

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:20 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Great stuff.. I'm trying to decipher your
'level criteria' (shown on the left hand column)
so I can get some idea of how you incorporate moves, and the timing
in there.

I've gotten as far as to get the video into the program, (step 1) but havent
figured out how to get a 'directional' input in, or figure out how to branch
to other video yet.... or how to do the timing... or....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:10 am 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

I've worked with "do it yourself" style game making apps like TGF and let me tell you that unless you intend to make the game run at a fixed resolution, with hard-coded input keys, with a VERY picky video engine, it isn't going to work. TGF can hald avi files well and that's about it. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just I've looked at the program and it's quite limiting.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with Matt in that you need to start with a more "traditional" programming language. It doesn't have to be c++ though. I have an engine with overlay and sprite support running in vb6. Again, though, no footage so no motivation to finish it. That and the fact that I'm kind of lost on how to write the scripting language. For making a Dragon's Lair style game it's quite simple, but I want to make it generic enough to do more advanced games that incorporate sprites, targets, and more traditional gameplay.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:43 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Fair enough. Just trying to get something going for the 'simple man' that
doesn't know any programming (or at least hasn't done any since school)

Offline Profile